Google
 

May 27, 2008

Potato Mushroom Cakes




I am more an "offline" person than an "online" person. I can't read e-books for the life in me. I don't think I can snuggle in bed with a laptop. A book is so much easier. That would probably explain why, despite the existence of so many food blogs, I continue to buy cookbooks with amazing regularity. There are old favourites and then there are new discoveries. While I continue to add to my collection, I fear that some of my books will wear out sooner than the others. One such book is "Favorite Vegetarian Dishes". It was a gift from my boss in the US. It is so full of recipes that call out to me. I have made several dishes after adapting the recipes to my taste from this book. Some of them are Grilled Garlic Potato Wedges, Garlic And Sage Bread, Pumpkin Soup, Middle Eastern Salad and Punjabi Kadhi Pakoda.





I made this on a winter weekend afternoon and they were gone in no time at all. I had originally intended to send this to the Potato events that were doing the rounds, but this just sat languishing in my drafts. Sia said we could post recipes throughout the year as an Ode to Potato, so I am doing just that.


2 cups Potatoes, boiled and mashed

2 tbsp Butter

2 cups Mixed Mushrooms (I used Button, Shitake and Oyster)

1 Egg, beaten

2 cloves Garlic, chopped

1 tbsp Mixed Fresh Herbs

¼ cup Bread Crumbs

2 tbsp Flour

Salt and Pepper to taste

Oil for frying


Melt the butter in a pan and add the mushrooms and garlic. Cook for about 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly. Drain any excess liquid. Stir this mixture into the potatoes and add the beaten egg and herbs. Shape the mixture into small balls and flatten each.


Meanwhile, mix the flour with a little water to make a batter. Place the bread crumbs on a plate. Heat the oil for frying. Coat each cake with the flour batter and then roll in the bread crumbs until evenly covered. Slide each cake into the hot oil and fry on each side until slightly dark brown. Drain on absorbent paper. Serve with tomato ketchup. Alternatively, you could shallow fry these cakes in a skillet. In that case, you could omit the bread crumbs and roll the cakes in plain flour (not flour batter).


These are like the western cousins of AlooTikkis and make for a great snack. I'm sending these to Mansi over at Fun and Food for Meeta's Monthly Mingle, the theme of which is Appetizers & Hors'Doeuvres.

12 comments:

Aarti said...

Coool recipe with mushrooms.. tonite i made mushrooms, red capsicum, tomato n garlic with Thai red curry... :)

ambi said...

wow, sounds/tastes intresting.

i had linked your blog page in one of a tamil blog portal(blogintamil.blogspot.com) with your permission, ofcourse. :)

KayKat said...

Yum! I love the idea of throwing in a mix of mushrooms :)

Your pic reminds me of the cutlets we used to get at Hot Breads in Chennai several years ago!

Deepa said...

This is nice. Arnav's allergic to egg, so I'd have to modify this. However, this reminds me also, of something mu husband used to make for me often - why on earth am I forgetting what it's called?!!

Deepa said...

I remember now. The thing my husband made often (need to get him to make it again) is ragda patties.
Looks similar to this.

Your mom makes deadly lemon rice, unmatched by any other lemon rice I've had. Do you have her recipe?!! You know, your mom has your passion for cooking - I've seen it even as a kid. Also, did you know that you guys had the first television I EVER saw?!!! Maybe when I was 5 years old. I used to think the purpose of a TV was to be able to watch things going on far away, such as your neighbor's home. I used to think I'd try and watch Sandeep (K.P) to see what mischief he might be up to, if we bought a TV. --Deepa

Unknown said...

Love the addition of mushrooms to this appetizer..looks great..

Hetal said...

Nice recipe..potato-mushroom combination looks good!!

Arundathi said...

lovely - i too love the addition of mushrooms - its not the plain old aloo and peas combination!

FH said...

Looks like Ruby topped Jewels!! Great presentation Raaga!:))

Sia said...

you go girl. post all the potatoes recipe this whole year:) after all this year international year of potatoes right?
lovely, lovely looking tikkies raaga. which cookbook is that u r refering to?

Bong Mom said...

Me too, no e-book unless work ones of course. For pleasure I need to smell and feel the paper
The tikkies look gorgeous

Mansi said...

this sounds tasty Raaga, and so fits the MM theme! I've never tried cutlets with mushrooms, but I did post rice & cheese cutlets yesterday:)

thanks so much for sharing it with us!:)