Google
 

May 21, 2008

Pizza Style Sandwich





Thank God I overcame my fear of yeast last year. I have been baking bread, pizza and rolls regularly since then. Each time I make a yeast bread, I wonder why I hadn't started earlier. Pizzas have become weeknight regulars at our place. The weather ensures that my dough rises to the occasion. I baked a pizza a couple of weeks ago and had some sauce leftover. (Lightning does not strike liars, does it?) No, I didn't have sauce leftover. I kept aside some sauce so I could make sandwiches for breakfast later on.


4 slices Brown Bread

1 tbsp Butter(optional)

2 slices Low Fat Cheese


For the sauce:



1 Onion, sliced

2 medium Tomatoes, chopped finely

1 Capsicum, sliced (I used small portions of green, red and yellow capsicum)

2 tsp Chilli Flakes

1/8 cup Sweet Corn

1/8 cup Paneer, cubed

3 pods Garlic, finely chopped

1 tbsp Tomato Ketchup

1 tsp Sugar

1 tsp Oregano

1 tsp Fresh Parsley, finely chopped

1 tsp Fresh Basil, finely chopped

1/2 tsp Pepper

1/2 tsp Olive Oil

Salt to Taste



For the sauce:


In a pan, heat the oil and add the garlic and onions. Fry for a minute or two. Add the capsicum, paneer, and corn and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the parsley, basil, oregano, chilli flakes, salt, sugar and pepper and fry for another minute. Add the tomatoes and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the ketchup and cook the mixture for a couple of minutes.

To proceed:

Place a slice of cheese on a slice of bread. Place 2-3 tbsp of the sauce over it. Cover this with another bread slice. Repeat with the other 2 bread slices as well. If using butter, apply some butter to both sides of the sandwich (outer sides) and grill in a sandwich maker.

This is great at breakfast time as long as you are able to eat pizza in the morning. (My brother and I can eat pizza at any meal and as many times.) Else, you can have it as a snack or a light meal.

This is off to Anupama's Sandwich festival.

This is Day 5 of the Recipe Marathon and my fellow bloggers have posted:

Siri: Hash Brown Melts
Lakshmi: Mango Fool

Arundathi: Bell Peppery curry

Srivalli: Andhra Mutton Pepper Fry

Dhivs: Fried Herb Mozarella

Swati: Aloo n Gobhi

Divya: Carrot rice

Ranji: Banana Chips

Bhags: triangularly yours

8 comments:

FH said...

Oh, that's a great idea, I make Pizza on a slice of Baguette, this would be a fun snack for kids!:)
I saw so many sandwiches this week, don't know I have any time left to make one for her!

ranji said...

pizza sandwich sounds wonderful!!!lovely idea:)...looks delcious.

Unknown said...

something for you in my blog..pl check!!

junoesque said...

this is an all time fave on the veg days of thursday and monday for child

also make it like an open face sandwich - and i use mozzarella. with tomatoes, capsicum bits. can also sprinkle soy flakes to up the nutrition content

:))

Aarti said...

Sweeet... infact today mom and i decided to make mini pizzas using buns that we had picked up from the local bakery.... :)

Anonymous said...

Oh - 2 more things that go extremely well with such a sandwich, is ajjwain (powder it coarsely and sprinkle on the veggies), and also spread a spicy chutney on the bread (mint chuntney or cilantro chutney)... --Deepa (Austin, TX)

Unknown said...

The pizza sandwich looks awesome raaga..nice idea

Suganya said...

Thats mighty creative.