Google
 

May 12, 2008

Masala Tinda



I've gone on tirelessly about how I eat all vegetables and how I am not a fussy eater and all that. And I feel sorry for all of you for having believed me all this while. There is one vegetable that I actually "hate". No, it isn't bitter gourd. But it is a gourd nonetheless: the round gourd. This is more popularly known as Tinda. I ate this once some 9 years ago at someone's house in Bangalore. Everyone at the lunch table seemed so excited that Tinda was on the menu. I hadn't eaten Tinda before and I really did eat everything at the time. And so I did. I hated it. Good upbringing made me finish everything that was on my plate and I politely declined further helpings. A few months later, I moved to Gurgaon. Tinda featured in every menu during the summer that followed. Since I "had" to eat vegetables (I've always preferred eating vegetables and dal to rice), I would end up with Tinda on my plate. And when I moved back south, I was happy to get rid of this vegetable.



Now that I am back in Gurgaon, I have let one entire summer go by without as much as even looking at Tinda. But my colleagues kept telling me that it is really a tasty vegetable when made well. So, despite my hatred for this vegetable, I bought some and made this dish last week. It wasn't intended as an entry to any event, but merely as a means of trying out a new vegetable. But since I found this recipe in Rajasthani Cooking by Tarla Dalal and adapted it, this is off to Padmaja at Spicy Andhra as my fourth entry to the RCI Rajasthan - Flavours of the Desert event.










2 cups Tinda, sliced
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Chilli Powder
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1 tsp Dry Mango Powder
2 tbsp Oil
Salt to Taste




Heat the oil and add the cumin seeds. When they crackle, add the asafoetida and the Tinda slices. Add the turmeric powder along with a little water. Cover and cook for a few minutes until the vegetable is cooked.



Add the spices and the salt and mix well. Cover and cook again for a few minutes.


Have my feelings towards this vegetable changed since? Not really. But I know it is tolerable now and with time and a few more experiments, I will be able to incorporate this otherwise sorry vegetable into my regular menu.



P.S. Tinda lovers: Please do not take offence. I am looking for ways to relish the vegetable. So, please help.

10 comments:

FH said...

I have never reaten this veggie before.I think it's different from Tendli/Tondekai I like, not the same veggie,right?
I bought a frozen pack of Tinda and it's still sitting there in the freezer!:D
Well.. this dish looks good, I might give it a try. I am sure fresh Tinda tastes lot better than frozen!:)

Sig said...

Tinda.... what is that? Never heard of it... Hats off to you girl, for buying a veggie that you know you hate... :)

Diamond and Pearl said...

Hi,

Nice blogs you have. Is Tinda called as 'noolkol' in TN?

Aarti said...

Ooh, this is actually a veggie i was introd to about 4yrs back and quite like[ but not my fav, no way.. that place is held by Bhindi aka vendekkai aka Ladies fingers only]

I make it like potato curry.. cook it well, and some onions and saute till it is well done.. :)
But it takes forever to cook.. sigh..

:)

Aarti said...

@diamond & pearl-
just saw ur query.. nope, tinda is not noolkol, that is different.. tinda looks like raw tomatoes, green and roundish... :)

Sia said...

raaga, is taht a punjabi tinda u r talking abt? if so then i have one perfect recipe for u :D

ranji said...

this veg is new to me..doesnt look like tendli..or is it?

Shweta said...

My mom makes Tinda bharwa (like bharwa baingan or alu) or makes a bharta out of it (exactly like baingan ka bharta), I think these are the only two ways I could eat it :) If I manage to find tinda, I will try and make one of these things.

Cham said...

Tinda is a gourd family? i can spot sometimes in Indian grocery. I will try ur recipe :)

Diamond and Pearl said...

Thanks for the info,Aarti. never seen it as the only state I've lived in India is TN!