Google
 

May 20, 2008

Vegetable Dosa


I have been advised by many people to keep dosa batter ready at all times. I try to do this every once in a while, but I'm not sure I'm anywhere close to having it in there all the time. And I don't ferment my dosa batter because I love the taste of dosas made out of freshly ground batter. (I am told I am breaking a cardinal rule here, but then that's just me!)


Sometimes the batter lying in the fridge does get sour. And by day 4 or 5, it is ready for uttapam style dosas. I add vegetables to the batter to make this a meal by itself (OK, almost!)


1 cup Dosa batter

1 Carrot, grated

1/4 cup Beans, finely chopped

1 Onion, finely chopped

1 tsp Ginger Paste

1 tsp Chilli Paste

2 tbsp Coriander Leaves, chopped

Salt to taste


Steam the beans and carrots or cook in a microwave for 2 mins with a little water. Add this mixture to the dosa batter. Add the onions, chilli paste, ginger paste, coriander leaves and a little salt. Mix well.


Heat a griddle (tawa) and smear a little oil on it. Simmer the flame and pour a ladleful of the batter in the centre of the tawa and spread it a little to form a circle. Add a little oil on the sides and centre, usually not more than 1 small spoonful per dosa. After a couple of minutes, carefully turn the dosa over and allow the other side to cook a little. Serve hot with some chutney or molagapodi.


I'd made this for Srivalli's Dosa Mela, but couldn't post it then thanks to some constraints. Since it has been in my drafts forever, I decided now might be a good time to share this easy recipe with all of you.

Day 4 of the Recipe Marathon saw the following posts:

Srivalli: Kasara Kaya Vepudu

Lakshmi: How to set Curd.

Dhivs: aromatic bread

Arundathi: two lovely dipping sauces
Swati: Neelam ji ki Teekhi aur Meethi Methi wali Kaddu ki Sabzi

Divya: Moong Dal Sundal

Ranji: Methi Dosa

Bhags: comfort food with 'seven' veggies

Siri: Moroccan Spaghetti

11 comments:

EC said...

A healthy dosa with veggies

Anonymous said...

Hey, Did you know that dosa batter freezes REALLY well? I freeze some when we go out of town, so that when we return, we have an interesting meal in no time. Remember though, not to microwave but just thaw at room temperature, the frozen batter. It doesn't taste bad at all - not the fresh taste, but I add some fresh yoghurt, a few veggies like peas carrots spinach, and it's interesting to eat. --Deepa

Anonymous said...

Hey I also love the dosas made out of freshly prepared batter and not the fermented one :)

Srivalli said...

heheh..you can still send this to me...as I said I have a pending round up on dosas!..seriously!

ranji said...

hey even i posted a dosa today for the marathon:)....looks delcious..something very different..

Ranjani said...

That's a good looking dosa!

Uma said...

Yummy dosa!

FH said...

Sri will be very glad to add it, looks healthy and delicious!:)

Unknown said...

Healthy dosa..I have had one of these in a resturant in india a few years back.Looks delicious!!

Laavanya said...

My mom likes the fresh batter too .. but I definitely like the sour taste that the fermentation brings about. The veggies are a nice touch... :)

Aarti said...

Nice.. we make something similar at home... :)

bleh.. one more person besides my granpa who loves fresh maavu dosas.. me- the more pulips the better...hehehe.. :)