Google
 

May 15, 2008

Kairi Panha



This is a summer drink that I have come to love. I must admit that when Amma first made this, I thought she was crazy to go to class(canning and preservation class) and learn how to make weird drinks. I must have been all of 6 at the time. Like beer, I’d call this an acquired taste. This drink would, however, win hands down as a summer drink when compared to beer. After all, while both are summer drinks and both are acquired tastes, this is a delicious drink. (You can rest assured I’d almost never use that adjective with beer.)


I tried this sometime ago using the microwave and I was very happy with the result.


1 cup Raw Mango, peeled and diced
1 tbsp Roasted Cumin Powder
1 tsp Rock Salt, powdered
½ tsp Black Pepper Powder
2-4 tbsp Sugar


Place all the ingredients in a microwave safe bowl with a little water and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Allow to cool and then blend to a paste. Mix this with two glasses of chilled water and serve.


This is traditionally served as a breakfast drink in Rajasthan and goes by the name of Kairi ka Pani. So, this is off to
Padmaja at Spicy Andhra as my fifth entry to the RCI Rajasthan - Flavours of the Desert event. Since this is a breakfast number featuring mangoes, I am sending this to Arundati of Escapades, who is hosting this month's Weekend Breakfast Blogging # 22, the theme of which is Mango Madness.

9 comments:

Hetal said...

hey refreshing summer drink,nice..

Kalai said...

Looks yummy, Raaga! Totally my kind of drink. :)

Viji said...

Could imagine the taste Raaga from your write up. The birthday cake is inviting. Viji

Andhra Flavors said...

Drink with raw mango!!!! Its new to me. thanks for sharing

FH said...

Slurp! Mouthwatering just to look at it!:)

TNL said...

I bet you appreciate your mom's enthusiasm now...! This drink is awesome, provided no one puts elaichi in it, then that's it, its going down the drain.

have a lovely weekend.

Rajitha said...

yum! i remem this...and i remem making a nasty face when when i had the first sip :D..i love it now tho..the MW idea is a good one..should try it this way...

Purnima said...

Hi Raaga, hv been following ur blog for quite few months, attempted this drink first..many of ur recipes -bookmarked !! Pls do chk my post for my comments...

Deeba PAB said...

Hi there Chef...I'm singing just looking at this & the ease of the whole drink!! I'm glad your mother did the course (mine did strange things like that too), & am gladder you got your hands on the recipe. Hic to panna & to beer too...make our Indian summers much easier to live through. I gotta make this one soon!! :0)