Google
 

May 26, 2008

Spinach in Coconut Milk Gravy



Necessity is the mother of invention, they say. That is how this dish was born. I started to make Palak Paneer, but I didn't have the patience to allow the spinach to cool and then puree it. Since it was necessary to make something, I made this gravy while the spinach was getting steamed and I just threw it right in. I didn't expect the dish to taste as good as it did because I didn't put in any effort at all (and it was my own invention!). But the end result was simply great. I think this will go very well with steaming hot rice as well.


Ingredients:

2 cups Spinach, steamed and chopped
200 ml Coconut Milk
1 Onion
1-2 Green
pods of Garlic
1” piece of Ginger
1 tsp Oil
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
¼ tsp Asafoetida
Salt to taste

Grind the onion, green chillies, ginger and garlic together to a paste.

Heat oil, add the cumin seeds and the asafoetida. When the cumin seeds crackle, add the onion paste and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the coconut milk and salt and bring to a boil. Add the spinach and cook for a couple of minutes. Serve hot with rotis.

I know I'll make this every once in a while when spinach is in season. Since we've almost stopped taking rice in our lunch boxes and have left pasta for weeknight dinners, rotis with a side dish seem to be a permanent fixture on our weekday lunch menu. And I don't like spending too much time in the kitchen. So these recipes come to my rescue very often.

9 comments:

Finla said...

I love the idea you have added coconut milk in it, here we have a dish calle spinach with cream.
Which most of the kids love with their potato mash

Arundathi said...

lovely looking spinach raaga. never thought of adding coconut milk to spinach...interesting!

Andhra Flavors said...

good idea spinash in coconut milk.

Sig said...

I love that combination... okay, you can throw pretty much anything in coconut milk and I'd love it... :) But really, this is an awesome idea...

Swati Raman Garg said...

i wish i had read this yesterday ... made d same old lasooni dal palak.. this wud have been a good one..

Anonymous said...

Why would you want to steam the spinach and again cook it to make it lose all its nutrients??
Just add chopped spinach once your onion paste etc is fried..
Stir this up on high heat for 2-3 minutes and then simmer and cover for 2-4 minutes followed by your coconut milk.

BB

Sia said...

anything with coconut is my fav:) a very good invention i say;)

Anonymous said...

Sounds different and yummy...

Suganya said...

I am so trying this.