Google
 

May 19, 2008

Raw Jackfruit Curry




I have always liked raw jackfruit a lot more than the ripe one. So when someone goes gaga over ripe jackfruit, as they did at the JFI last May, I cannot relate to that feeling at all. I also prefer breadfruit to jackfruit. Both were not easily available when I was growing up. Yet, I managed to rank them in my order of preferences. It was not like there was ever a situation when I had to pick one over the other. No, I’ve never been asked, “Would you like this or that?” Outside of the fritters, that always manage to make me go weak in my knees, I have not attempted making anything with jackfruit or breadfruit. I have eaten sukke, an amchi dish, but that’s it. I remember having eaten other dishes, but I am unable to recall them. Chips made out of raw jackfruit, I eat regularly. My colleague recently brought back a big bag from Kerala and we devoured them.



I have this lady in my team: D. She HATES cooking and on days when her cook doesn’t turn up, she’s really one big mess. But I find her lunch the best on days when her cook doesn’t turn up. That’s because D is a wonderful cook. I always tell her, “If this is how you cook when you HATE cooking, I wonder how you’d cook if you actually loved it.” She brought this dish in her lunch box a couple of times last month and I was tempted to try. Since raw jackfruit is sold precut, she finds it easy to prepare. I took the ease to a different level altogether by making it in a pressure cooker. I also added asafoetida to the preparation because I didn’t want to fly back to Gurgaon after work on my own. I’m not too sure of my landing skills yet.


250g Raw Jackfruit pieces
2 Onions, sliced
1 Tomato, chopped
¼ tsp Ginger Paste
¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Chilli Powder
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1 tsp Garam Masala
1 tbsp Oil
¼ tsp Asafoetida
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
Salt to taste



Heat oil in a pressure pan and add the cumin seeds. When they crackle, add the asafoetida and the onions and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and ginger paste. Fry the entire mixture for 2-3 minutes. Add the raw jackfruit pieces and the salt and fry for another 2-3 minutes. Add a little water and pressure cook for 1 whistle. When done, add the garam masala and cook for a minute before serving.



This pairs very well with rotis and I know I’m going to make this very often. One more of the tasty and quick recipes, so hard to resist. And with this post, I have reached a mini milestone on this blog. This is my 250th post.

On Day 3 of the Recipe Marathon, these recipes have been put up:

Srivalli: Majjiga Mirapakaya/Dahi Mirchi

Ranji: A Blueberry Muffin

Lakshmi: Onion Kulchas

Dhivya: Spicy Rotis

Arundathi: Grape Jam

Swati: stuffed bell pepper with makhani gravy

Divya: Sour Cream Corn Cranberry Muffins

Bhags: Vegetable stock

Siri: Middle Eastern Appetizer

12 comments:

Laavanya said...

I was eyeing the mountains of jackfruit while in India but sadly didn't eat any jackfruit dish... I love breadfruit too - a malayalee neighbour used to make a istu like curry with that.. yummy.
Nice story about D can't believe she hates cooking when she is so gifted ... curry looks great.

Richa said...

lol! hope u had a safe landing ;)

Arundathi said...

Did you forget to mention the marathon? this looks like something my husband would love!

Swati Raman Garg said...

haha nice post... and i too like this but have never made it myself..
ur recipe looks simple raaga...
check out my entry too...

FH said...

Lucky girl! I used cook a lot with raw jackfruit in B'lore. I don't get them excpt that dreadful canned ones with metal smell!

Looks wonderful. Enjoy, after all the exciting adventure you did!:))

Unknown said...

different one..havent heard of this..nice entry

Kaushik Khaund said...

This seems like a plain vanilla version of what can be a fantastic vegetarian offering. Since - and I assume - you don't know, ask a friendly Bengali neighbour to share his/her mother's or grandmother's recipe for Dalna made of jackfruit.

TBC said...

We only get canned jackfruit here. I make it almost similarly minus the turmeric & garam masala but with a generous amonut of sambar powder.

vandana rajesh said...

Haven't really tried anything with jackfruit although love the chips that are so very popular in kerala...would definitely give your recipe a try.

Sig said...

I love jackfruit in any form, both ripe and green... I had my fill this last India trip , it was the jackfruit season..... We don't use any asafoetida in the cooking, so had to tie myself to the bed... but what the heck... it was worth it ;)

Anonymous said...

rotfl!! haha....fly back on my own!! love jackfruit seeds in sambhar...havent had any other version of this curried...usually ripe jackfruit is all the rage with me!!

Suganya said...

Jackfruit and mangoes - summer is here :)