Google
 

May 28, 2008

Peerkangai Thuvayal



I found a bag of Ridge Gourd while I was shopping for groceries at the upscale GK I market. (Don't ask why I do my grocery shopping there!) I have not seen it in Delhi/Gurgaon before. I have only seen the smoother version (tori) in markets here. It is not as though I love Ridge Gourd, but when I see vegetables I don't usually, I am tempted to buy them. I made the Ridge Gourd version of Lauki Moong Dal and had some left over. I tried this thuvayal sometime back. I was so thrilled with the outcome that I know I'll make this more often.


4 medium Ridge Gourds, roughly peeled and chopped

4 Red Chillies

1 tsp Mustard

3 tsp Urad Dal

1/4 tsp Asafoetida

3 tsp Oil

1 tbsp Tamarind Paste

Salt to taste

Place the ridge gourd pieces in a microwave safe bowl. Add 2 tbsp of water and cook on high for 2 minutes. Squeeze out the water when cool.

Heat the oil and fry the red chillies, mustard, asafoetida and urad dal for a couple of minutes. Grind the chillies along with the tamarind paste and salt. Add the ridge gourd pieces and grind again. Finally, add the fried mustard and urad dal and grind lightly.


Serve this with rice and a little ghee and some papads or vadams on the side.

12 comments:

Deepa said...

What other veggies do you think would work with this - I wouldn't find ridge gourd here? I like your tip about squeezing out the water - seems important. --Deepa

FH said...

I would die to get my hands on some Ridge gourd here! I have planted some seeds and they are up already.Hurray!:D
Looks yum, I wold love make this dish if I can get some ridge gourd! Sigh..!:)

KayKat said...

Easily one of my favourite gourds. Quite amazing how it works well with almost any flavour!

Aarti said...

Nice.. we make this quite often at home... :)

but ours is lighter in color.. probaby cos of the tamarind paste or red chillies ka color...

Anonymous said...

We love peerkangaa at home raaga! the thuvayal looks delicious, i bet it tasted great with rice!

Suganya said...

Raaga, next time try cooking a small tomato with peerkangai and grind it. The color, the tang it gives is simply superb.

Swati Raman Garg said...

loveee peerkangai toghayal... and urs has a nice color raaga...

Divya Kudua said...

Hi Raaga,you make my day!! Please collect the award from my blog!!

Jayashree said...

Love all kinds of thogayal.....your ridgegourd version look spicy and tangy.

Sia said...

i hated almost all the gourd while growing up and now i cant get enough of them!!! thankfully we do get fresh ridge gourd @asian stores here and i usually end up cooking either sasme or dal with it. never tried thuvayal with it. good one raaga.

Anonymous said...

my husband will have this on a pizza - seriously he loves peerthangai and that parruppu usili that they make with the skin :D

delhibelle said...

I LOVE this one so much that I have five recipes bookmarked for it and now yours is the sixth !

And, since I was staying around there, next time you think of buying veggies in GK, just go a little further to CR park, where you will find exotic veggies lie Ridge Gourd (called Jhinga there), raw papaya, banana blossom etc.at way cheaper prices, u can also pick up some yummy dal boris & mishti doi in CR park market:)