Google
 

May 13, 2008

Mango Muffins (Rasayan inspired)


Indian sweets and I share a very vague relationship. You can’t even call it love-hate. There are a few sweets that I absolutely love (kaju kathli, gulab jamun, rasmalai, badam kheer, sheera, kulfi) and there are those that I really wouldn’t care to look at (rice kheer/pal payasam, falooda, jangiri, rajbhog...). There is one part of me that is, without doubt, Mangalorean. Much as I love my Paruppu Urundai and Milagu Kuzhambu, I love the sweet-sour-hot combination of Saraswat cooking.



I love mangoes and can eat them everyday for every meal (yes, regardless of the eruptions on every inch of my anatomy) and I have been doing just that. Instead of cooking for just one person when I have to, I sit down with a large bowl of cut mangoes and enjoy every piece.


Rasayan is a 5 minute dessert/sweet dish that I absolutely love and it is the dish that I sent to WBB – Summer Fruits last year. That was my first WBB entry. And this year’s entry to WBB is inspired by that very recipe. I saw blueberry cinnamon muffins in some book and thought, “Mangoes and cardamom make a good pair… why not I try?” So with a few substitutions here and there, I came up with my own version of Rasayan inspired Mango Muffins.


3/4 cup Coconut Milk
1/2 cup Vegetable oil
1 cup Mango, chopped into fine pieces
1 cup Flour
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
½ to ¾ cup Jaggery
1 tbsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Cardamom Powder or Essence
1 Egg
1/4 tsp Salt



Grease 12-muffin pan or line with paper cases. Preheat oven to 400 F.



Place all the ingredients except the mango pieces in a food processor jar fitted with the dough blade. Run the food processor for 2 minutes until the ingredients form a batter.



Blend the mango pieces into the batter and pour spoonfuls of the batter into the muffin moulds. Bake for 20 minutes.


Muffins are a great breakfast on the go and going the whole wheat way is a healthy option too. Mangoes take them to a very different level. My namesake, Arundati of Escapades, is hosting this month's Weekend Breakfast Blogging # 22, the theme of which is Mango Madness. WBB is the brainchild of Nandita of Saffron Trail and I am happy to send these muffins to her.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the entry babe!! they sure sound great....what with the whole wheat making the mango madness a little less evil!! see you at the roundup!!

Kalai said...

Mango muffins sound delicious, Raaga! Love the flavors! :)

Mandira said...

Mango muffins sounds and looks delicious. It definitely looks like mango time in the blogosphere :)

Bong Mom said...

I love Indian sweets too. The jaggery and mango in your muffin puts it in that category too :)

~nm said...

Sounds like a yumm recipe. What can I put instead of coconut milk? Can I replace it with regular milk?

FH said...

Clever girl! Looks great, turning Rasayana into muffins.YUM!:)

Suganya said...

If pineapple can make good muffins, why not mangoes? Great idea, Raaga.

Unknown said...

I had bookmarked this recipe to prepare soon :)
Mango-coconut-cardamom is a fantastic combo!