Google
 

May 4, 2008

Arbi Ka Saag




For a long time, I knew of 3 ways in which I could make Arbi (Colocasia). I could make Seppankizhangu Fry (Deep Fried), Seppankizhangu Karumadhu, and Seppankizhangu Mor Koottu. All Tamil dishes. So, I'd buy the vegetable only if I knew I was going to make Sambar sometime soon. I never thought I could make a side dish to go with rotis.

When I came across this recipe, I was a bit skeptical about how well it would pair with rotis given how dry it looked. I was pleasantly surprised when not only did I think my lunch was great, my colleagues kept picking pieces off my plate, and S called from work to say, "You should make this more often!"

As with most Rajasthani recipes here, this is also adapted from the Rajasthani Cookbook by Tarla Dalal.

250 g Colocasia (Arbi/ Seppankizhangu), boiled, peeled and quartered
1/4 tsp Carom Seeds
1/4 tsp Mustard
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Chilli Powder
1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
Juice of 1 Lime
1 tsp Oil
Salt to taste

Oil for deep/shallow frying


Shallow fry or deep fry the arbi pieces and keep aside.

Heat the teaspoon of oil. Add the carom and mustard seeds. When the mustard splutters, add the fried arbi pieces, turmeric, chilli and coriander powders, salt and lime juice. Mix well.

Serve hot with rotis.

I deep fried as I made it in the morning when I was short of time. I didn't want to shallow fry then as it really is time consuming. This is off to Padmaja at Spicy Andhra as my second entry to the RCI Rajasthan - Flavours of the Desert event.

6 comments:

Rajitha said...

raaga..ur posts are not showing up on TOI..so i have been missing out on teh yummy food :)...congrats on the 1 yr...and tho i hate arbi..the roast does looks good!

Anonymous said...

My next post sitting in hibernation for now is also Arbi :) Same pinch :)
this one does look yummy, but i hate to deep fry, so will have to go for the time consuming shallow frying.

Anonymous said...

first the doc and now you are assaulting me with arvi...i love it.....love the colour....

Miri said...

I also know only these two or three recipes with arbi, this seems to be an interesting recipe to try out. Thanks!

Padmaja said...

Raaga
Amazing colour my dear.
I love this fry with sambhar!!Thank you for sending this dish!!

Swati Raman Garg said...

raaga it looks so good... the color.. everything... really a nice n new versino of arbi to try... i too posted my rci entry today ...