Google
 

May 30, 2008

Raspberry Raisin Ring



In my endeavour to participate in this month’s AFAM, I entertained many thoughts in my head. The simplest was to make a Raspberry trifle as the first time I’d ever tasted Raspberry was in the custard-jelly combination. I checked my pantry and I had all flavours of custard and jelly… except Raspberry. Then I thought of using raspberry jam, but then I’d have to go buy a bottle of jam for this (and these raspberry jams cost a bomb!! And we don’t even eat jam much.). All this while, I forgot that S had brought me a bag of 7-fruit blend which had dried raspberries. I realized only when I made this cake and put it in the oven. Anyway, I did find something raspberry in my pantry and I’m totally amazed at how well it blended with this cake. Nandita had sent me an assortment of flavoured teas and one of them was Raspberry, Cranberry and Elderflower. That’s the raspberry that went into this cake. This was an experiment from start to finish and while the cake didn’t turn out the way I thought it would (the batter was runnier than I expected). But on the whole, it was a yummy cake and we took some of it a dinner party that evening because I knew kids would be around (and most kids I know love jam!). The rest of the cake we took to our offices where it was gone in no time.



1/2 cup Yogurt
6 tbsp Oil
2 eggs, beaten
1 tbsp Jam
1 cup Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
Pinch of salt
7 tbsp Sugar
1 Raspberry Tea Bag
2 tbsp Raisins



Whisk the yogurt with the eggs, sugar and oil. Sift together the flours, baking soda and salt.


Place the tea bag in 1/4 cup of hot water with the raisins and leave it for 2-3 minutes. Remove the tea bag and take out the raisins. Blend the tea decoction with the jam and heat it in the microwave for 1 minute.


Mix the wet and dry ingredients and the raisins and pour into a greased ring cake tin. Pour the jam into the batter and bake at 375F for 35-40 minutes.


Given the runny batter that I had, the jam and the raisins reached the bottom of the cake tin and formed a “frosting” of sorts. This was a very moist, but dense, cake. I am sending this over to Dee on the last day of this month’s AFAM: Raspberry.

5 comments:

FH said...

That is moist and delcious. Great entry Raaga. Have a fun weekend!:)

Unknown said...

Am drooling over the pic Raaga..looks too delicious

Pritika said...

wow aru...i knew you cooked well...but this is awesome! I'm gonna try out one recipie a week atleast! good job neighbour ;)

p.s. we had a lot of fun catching up too, let's do it again!

Unknown said...

We always end up with similar ideas...I made berry flavoured raisins using those tea bags as well- they turned out a dreary grey colour but tasted yum:)

Miri said...

I made a similar strawberry yoghurt ring sometime back, but the raspberry flavoured tea bag is an interesting ingredient!