Google
 

May 23, 2008

Methi Mutter Malai


Everyone who has been following this blog with any regularity would know by now that I have a weakness for colourful things. I like my dishes to look like they were inspired by a rainbow. And if I can’t manage them in one dish, then I try to get my plate to look multi-coloured by making dishes in contrasting colours. This craze extends beyond food. (No, I don’t dress like a rainbow everyday.) I just love shopping for vegetables in winter when every fruit and vegetable shop in sight is bursting with colour. I think I end up buying more fruits and vegetables just because they appeal to me visually.



I bought a lot of greens last winter and tried to use them in a variety of ways. I spent many weekends cleaning mounds of fenugreek and spinach. One day, I cleaned two bunches of fenugreek and then attacked the bag of peas. I was wondering how to pair the two and I remembered the Methi Mutter Malai that I’d eaten in Hyderabad. I decided to make it the very next day. The other dish that I regularly ordered there was methi Chaman Hariyali. I hope to find the recipe for that someday.


This dish turned out to be very good and I can’t wait for the leafy greens to come back into season.


2 cups Fenugreek Leaves, washed and chopped
½ tsp Cumin Seeds
½ cup Green Peas, cooked/boiled
½ cup Milk
2 tbsp Cream
¼ tsp Sugar (optional)
1 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste


To be ground to a paste:


1 Onion
2 Green Chillies
½” piece Ginger
2 cloves Garlic
2 tbsp Cashews
1 tsp Poppy Seeds



Heat the oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds. When they crackle, add the fenugreek leaves and fry for a couple of minutes. Add the paste and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the milk, cream, sugar, salt and green peas. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Serve with rotis.

No one's taking any rest on the 7th day and the Recipe Marathon is going strong:

Lakshmi: Mint Rice

Srivalli: Lunch Box Series

Arundathi: wontons

Dhivya: Beet Hummus

Ranji: Papdi Pizza

Siri: Egg Puffs

Swati: Dimsums

Divya Vikram: Reva Kesari

1 comment:

FH said...

Me too, love colrs and colorful dishes!:D

This looks yummy too, green and creamy, looks great. Easy to make too!:)