Google
 

July 7, 2007

Bottle Gourd and Moong Dal




Bottle gourd would feature in my list of "always eaten-never made" vegetables. About three years ago, I was spending my first summer in Hyderabad and suffered a mild heatstroke. The doctor who treated me told me to eat a lot of gourds in summer as they were good for health. I came home and called Amma to ask about this dish because I liked it a lot.





This dish isn't usually as watery as this, but since I was serving it with jeera rice, I made it a little watery.


Ingredients:


1 meduim sized Bottle Gourd, peeled and chopped

1/2 cup Moong Dal, washed

1 tsp Oil

1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds

1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds

1/4 tsp Asafoetida

1/2 tsp Green Chilli paste

1/2 tsp Ginger paste

7-8 Curry Leaves

1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder

1/4 tsp Chilli Powder

Salt to taste


Heat the oil in a pressure pan. Add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida. When the mustard splutters, add the curry leaves, ginger and chilli pastes and fry for a minute. Add the dal and saute for another minute before adding the turmeric and chilli powders. Add the bottle gourd pieces and salt. Add 1-1.5 cups of water and cover and cook for 1-2 whistles. Garnish with coriander leaves if you like.


Serve hot with rice or rotis.

4 comments:

Saju said...

you have been busy this morning! all delicious stuff

Raaga said...

Hi Saju,

Thanks :-)

After the burglary, we've been eating at home all the time or so it seems. I have cooked more in the last 2 weeks than in the last couple of months.

It's good to be back.

bee said...

this recipe looks wonderful. love bottle gourd. have you tried it with chana dal?

Raaga said...

Hi Bee,

My maid was telling me about a chana dal version when I was making this one. I will surely try.