Google
 

July 14, 2007

Vellarikkai Pachadi (Cucumber in Curd)




All of us are always trying to make our meals more interesting. S thinks I am now doing all this because of my food blogging addiction. But by his own admission, I'd not repeated a dish in the first 3 months of our marriage. Not one repetition for any meal. And we didn't even have a gas connection in those days. I had a 45 year old electric stove with no heat regulator that has been passed down from Amma to me. I cooked on that for 3 months. We got our gas connection either in late December or in January of this year. (Yup! We've only been married 9 months.)


So, all I'm really doing differently now is cooking on a 4 burner stove and religiously taking pictures of whatever I make. Here's a dish that doesn't require much cooking. It serves as a great accompaniment to sambar rice, bisi bele huli anna, vangi bhat,etc.
1 Cucumber, peeled and cubed
1 cup Curd
1/2 tsp Chilli paste
1/2 tsp Ginger Paste
For the tempering:
1 tsp Oil
1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
7-8 Curry Leaves
Salt to taste
Whip the curd and add a little water. Add the ginger and chilli pastes and salt and mix well. Add the cucumber pieces.
In a small kadhai, heat the oil. Add the mustard seeds and asafoetida. When the mustard splutters, add the curry leaves. Pour this over the cucumber curd mixture. Chill for an hour before serving. Garnish with coriander leaves if you wish.

No comments: