Google
 

July 21, 2007

Grilled Garlic Potato Wedges




I've always enjoyed potato wedges. But I'd not been able to get rid of the guilty feeling that I get whenever I bit into one. About 2 years ago, my boss was visiting India from the US and she came home for dinner. I'd cooked a variety of dishes: Tomato Saar, Bisi Bele Huli Anna, Cucumber Pachadi, and Seppankizhangu Fry. I'd promised her a home cooked meal during her last trip and we talked about how the stuff that we get in restaurants, even in India, are so different from the stuff we make at home. She remembered that conversation and more importantly remembered my interest in vegetarian cooking and brought me a nice gift. A book called "Favorite Vegetarian Dishes". It is one of the nicest cook books I have ever owned and cooking from it is just so much fun. Here's one recipe from the book.






Wanting to make something special, I made potato wedges to eat while we played Scrabble. This is my fourth feature on Eating out while eating in. The earlier ones being Kothu Roti, French Bread Pizza, and Macaroni.



What I like best about these wedges is the fact that they aren't deep fried. I modified the recipe that I found in the book.



Ingredients:


3 medium Potatoes, scrubbed and parboiled
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tbsp Butter
1 tsp Rosemary
1 tsp Parsley
1 tsp Thyme
1 tsp Chilli Flakes
2 tsp Garlic Powder
Salt and Pepper to taste






Cut the potatoes into wedges. (Leave the skins on.)


Heat the olive oil and butter in a saucepan. Add the parsley, rosemary and thyme and fry for a minute. Add the chilli flakes and the garlic powder and fry another minute. Add the wedges, salt and pepper. Toss the wedges in the spice mixture and transfer them to a foil wrapped grill rack.


Grill for 10-12 minutes and serve with a cheese dip or garlic mayonnaise.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Potato wedges are my fav in BurgerKing :)
Your version looks more tasty and yummy... shall definitly try them!!

Raaga said...

Thanks Cinnamon... they're relatively easy to make and the process doesn't involve slaving over the stove.

Viji said...

Interesting Raaga. Viji

Raaga said...

Do try it Viji... you're bound to like it.

Ranjani said...

I make my potatoe wedges almost the same way, and serve it with garlic aioli:)
Those look really good