Google
 

August 7, 2007

Garlic and Sage Bread



I have overcome my fear of yeast. And how!! I was eyeing the recipe for cheese and potato bread in the book "Favorite Vegetarian Dishes" after my success with the masala buns. I asked S what kind of bread I should bake and he instantly said, "garlic".


I should have known. Both of us love the taste of garlic in our food and I sometimes add it in recipes where the recipe doesn't call for any. S's colleague keeps asking me to not use it because he doesn't like it. But then, S and I need to be catered to as well, right? Every once in a while I make an utterly garlicky dish and today is one of those days.


I had to modify the recipe of the Garlic and Sage Bread that I found in the same book. I continue to be completely out of normal flour. The recipe calls for dry yeast and my fruit buns used the same thing. I'd much rather use fresh yeast. Especially since I brought back a huge packet of the same from the I.N.A. market on Sunday. And I can't be bothered to go find fresh sage. And last, but not the least, I have no idea what sea salt is. I also decided to add some cheese for the garnish which didn't seem like a very good idea when the bread was ready. But then it is hindsight that is 20:20.


Ingredients:


1 1/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour/ Atta
1 1/2 tbsp Fresh Yeast
3 tbsp Sage
2 tsp Salt
3 tbsp Chopped Garlic
1 tsp Honey
2/3 cup Water, tepid
1/2 slice Low Fat Cheese, cut into strips (optional)


In a large mixing bowl, add the water, honey and 1 tsp salt. Mix well. Add the yeast and dissolve completely. Add the sage, wheat flour and 2 tbsp garlic and mix well to form a dough. Turn the dough on to a floured surface and knead it for 5 minutes.



Place the dough in a covered greased bowl and allow to rise in a warm place until double in size. (60-90 minutes.) Knead again for a couple of minutes and then shape into a circle. Place the dough on a greased baking tray and allow to rise for another 30 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining garlic and salt over this ring. Place the cheese strips over the dough and bake in a preheated oven at 400F for 25 minutes.





Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting.

This bread is very crusty on the outside but soft on the inside. I think I am going to make some soup to go with it tonight. It also seems like the ideal bread to make crostinis or bruschettas.


I'm enjoying this new phase in my life. The one in which I befriended Mr. Yeast. I have a long list of things I want to make. And high in terms of priority is Amma's handmade pizza. I plan to try that with whole wheat flour as well. Anita’s blogpost on whole wheat potato bread has tips for substituting wheat flour for flour. This has opened up so many possibilities. Thanks Anita.



My first bread making experiment is off to Melissa from Cooking Diva for this weekend's Weekend Herb Blogging, started by Kalyn.

I have to thank my dearest friend Shobha for her interest in bread making. Long before I entered the world of food blogging, Shob's emails about the bread she made with pictures got me interested in this art.

34 comments:

Sharmi said...

so madam is now in a mood bake. lovely looking bread. beautifully decorated. somehow my hubby does not like garlic. so I just had garlic bread once which was store brought.

Priyanka said...

Seems like you are on a baking spree.... good ... some more wonderful recipes for us:)

Roopa said...

looks excellent Raaga!

FH said...

Mr.Yeast is treating you good!Don't divorce the real Mr.hubby though,you can keep both!Hahaha!!
Bread looks wonderful and I bet whole house smelled great too.I love that when I bake bread!:))

SeeC said...

I usually stay far from baking stuffs. I too love the smell of garlic.
You are doing a good job.

Laavanya said...

I LOVE garlic too Raaga. The bread looks lovely and it's whole wheat to boost.

Anonymous said...

Great going, Raaga!

Doesn't the bread smell gorgeous?! And so full of flavour! Not at all like that bland tasteless white soft stuff they sell us!

Raaga said...

@Sharmi: Yeah... totally. I feel like a baby who has just discovered that she can walk!!

Raaga said...

@Priyanka: This bread making is so easy... the work is 5 minutes, then it has to rise :-)

bee said...

great flavours. raaga, instead of sea salt, use uniodised rock salt powdered.

ushaprashanth said...

Hi raaga!
The bread is great! can you tell me how to do it in microwave?

Manasi said...

Wow!! u r on a roll! this looks so good! wud love this with a bowl of hot tomato soup!!
i tried bread once long back, but it was a flop.. have to build up my courage and give it a whirl!

Cynthia said...

You're baking up a storm I see :) this bread just says, eat me now :)

TBC said...

Great job!I love garlic bread , have not yet tried baking bread though!

Raaga said...

@Roopa: Thanks

@Asha: Yeah. I've befriended Mr. Yeast also for Mr. Husband :-) Sachin's definitely not complaining :-)

Raaga said...

@SeeC: I've been baking for longer than I've been cooking. Started baking at 10 (if you ignore the class 4 experiment) and cooking only at 13. Thanks :-)

Raaga said...

@Laavanya: The whole wheat fact is what I'm so kicked about :-)

Raaga said...

@Anita: I, though, have a long way to go in terms of getting the right texture. With practice I am sure I'll get there. And you're just a phone call away :-) Thanks for everything.

Raaga said...

@Bee: I was just thinking this morning that I should bring back rock salt from Madras. I will try using that the next time. :-)Thanks

Raaga said...

@Usha: I've just about managed to start baking in an oven. I'm not even sure if this can be made in a microwave. You could check with some of the experienced bakers in this group.

Raaga said...

@Manasi: Do try it again. I'll have home made bread over rotis anyday :-) bread making has no slaving over stove business. We had it with pumpkin soup. Tasted great.

Raaga said...

@Cynthia: A storm of vessels in the sink to clean up for sure :-))

It did say eat me now and that's what we did.

Raaga said...

@TBC: My first time too. If I can do it, so can you!! :-)

archana said...

Any particular shop in INA?
I have never visited that place since some one told me you get sea food and meat there :) Your bread is looking perfect :)

Raaga said...

@Archana: Lucky Stores.

Most of Delhi's restaurants source their stuff from INA and Def Col markets. Yes, meat and fish is sold there. I have to go with my nose almost closed. But it is worth it.

CookingDiva - Chef Melissa said...

It looks beautiful and delicious! Thank you for participating in WHB #95!!! Have a tasty week!
Melissa

Raaga said...

@Melissa: Thanks and you have a great week too :-)

Nirmala said...

Hi Raaga,
I am exactly in similar mood of yours (the baking mood) and i am trying out quite a no. of recipes! Glad to know about u're mood :) Wll try out this garlic bread soon!Thanks for sharing..

Kalyn Denny said...

It does look quite tasty, and I love the idea of putting the strips of cheese on top of the bread. I am totally in agreement with the love of garlic too!

Raaga said...

@Nirmala: I hope this isn't a phase... because I'm enjoying it so much.

Raaga said...

@Kalyn: I think I should have put the cheese on half way through the baking. It just got burnt.

Oh the things we do for the love of garlic :-)

Padma said...

this one looks divine i love the aroma of garlic n sage...thanks for the wonderful recipe...

Raaga said...

@Padma: Thanks Padma. I am glad you like it.

Kalyn Denny said...

I'm happy to see that Melissa is doing better and has finally posted the recap for this WHB. Thanks for being so patient.