Google
 

August 28, 2007

Appey


Ever since Nupur mentioned that her mother brought her a couple of Appey Patras or Appey Kaylis, I've been meaning to get one for myself. And when we went shopping for vegetables, I found the pan along with a muffin pan and bought them both.




Ingredients:

1/2 cup Urad
1 cup Rice (Boiled or Raw)
1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
Salt to taste

Oil for frying



Wash the urad and rice. Add the fenugreek seeds and soak in plenty of water overnight. (At least 4-5 hours). Wash well and grind using a little water. Add salt and water to dilute it as required. (Don't add too much water as the appeys will not turn out well.) Ferment the batter for a few hours or overnight.










Heat the appey kayli and smear a drop of oil onto each mould. Simmer the flame and pour a spoonful of the batter into each mould.




Turn each ball after a few minutes using a pick.




The appeys should look like this.




You can now do one of two things.


  1. Ogle at the appeys and take loads of pictures.
  2. Eat them when they are piping hot.



I enjoyed them with a Cumin Coriander Chutney. The recipe will come as another post.


As this is a Konkani dish, I am sending it to Asha for the RCI Karnataka, an event started by Laksmi that celebrates the regional cuisine of India.




Rice being the main ingredient here, I am also sending this entry to Jihva for ingredients started by Indira of Mahanandi and hosted by Sharmi of Neivedyam.

36 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Raaga, We call it Paddu. I usually make it with sour dosa batter.

Raaga said...

@Lakshmi: Paddu... nice name :-) I never let my batter sour... prefer my dosas as it is :-)

Aruna said...

Raaga, oh my!!! those gloden globes look sooo amazing, tempting enuff!! havent tried these, sure will try!!!

themistressofspices.wordpress.com

Pooja V said...

Your appey look so nice. I can grab some eat them in no time.

FH said...

YAY!! We call them Gundappas too! Thank you Raaga!:))
You made then in Muffin pans? How clever! Never thought of that, great idea! Appes looks round and delicious.Looking forward to that yummy looking chutney!

TBC said...

awwwww... those appeys look so cute!

Laavanya said...

so perfect and golden brown!

bee said...

raaga, is yo appey pan non-stick? we bought a cast iron one and i am afraid to use it 'cos they may never come unstuck. any tips?

Latha Narasimhan said...

Nice dish! and using muffin trays is a good idea! I use Idli batter and add fineely chopped onions, capsicum andgreen chillies. So chutney will be posted tomorrow?

Raaga said...

@Aruna: Thanks :-) Its simple. Do try :-)

Raaga said...

@Pooja: Where should I send a batch over?

Raaga said...

@Ashakka: No, not in muffin pans... I bought the appey patra and the muffin pans at the same time :-) I made this in a appey patra or kayli :-) Chutney will come tomorrow. Thanks :-)

Raaga said...

@TBC and Laavanya: Thanks :-)

Raaga said...

@Bee: Mine's non stick. But Amma's always had a cast iron one... the trick is to use a little oil when heating the pan first (something we don't do with non-stick) and then pour the batter in.

Raaga said...

@Latha: No, no, I made them in a kuzhi paniyaram patram :-) not in a muffin pan :-) your variation is nice :-) Thanks

Sreelu said...

no way Raaga, made the same thing on my blog except that I deep fried instead of using a pan.

Is this telepathic or what ?

Raaga said...

@Sreelu: Like punugulu thing??

Tee said...

Gorgeous looking appey! I just love appey !

Padma said...

WOw that gorgeously looking appey's...can i grab few...next time for sure i have to bring this patra from my India trip...hey looks like your is a non-stick patram...from where did u purchase?

Sharmi said...

very beautiful pics. I am drooling. this is my favorite but dont have the pan!!

Rajitha said...

i bought the non stick one during my India trip. till then i kept telling my mom every week on the phone.. how much i wanted to make these. Now since i own one, i have yet to make these... looking at your appey.. is giving me inspiration

Raaga said...

@Tee: Me too... loved them as a kid... I figured I like it as an adult too :-) Thanks

Raaga said...

@Padma: Send me your address... I'll send a plate over :-)

Raaga said...

@Padma: My pan is a Prestige Omega non stick. I picked it up from a store at the INA market :-)

Raaga said...

@Sharmi: Let me buy it and send it with someone coming to NJ :-)

Sig said...

Beautiful pics Raaga! I've never had these... :(

Raaga said...

@Sig: You poor baby... hop on the next flight and I'll have some ready for you.

Suganya said...

How come yr appey is so smooth. Mine comes like a moon with craters.

bha said...

Appey look delicious...i dont have an appey pan, so can i come over...:)

Cynthia said...

I've have seen these on other blogs and they always look perfect just like yours :)

Chef Jeena said...

Great appeys raaga they look wonderful. :)

zlamushka said...

Hi Raaga,

these are so nice. I love the mufin pan, I wish I had one myself. Do you think I could make them as pancakes in regular pan? Someting like dosa???

Shella said...

The appeys look so golden & inviting Raaga. You know they are calling me to come & have them, so pls dont break their heart. Call me the next time you make them, & Gurgaon is not too far fm my place. I'll make it.iligu

Anonymous said...

Hi Raaga, Firstly you look beautiful, secoundly your appey looks superb. I alwasys wanted to make this but i dont get this patra(plate) in south africa.

Anonymous said...

Hi Raaga, Firstly you look beautiful, secoundly your appey looks superb. I alwasys wanted to make this but i dont get this patra(plate) in south africa

Unknown said...

hi Raaga:) Your appeys look too good:) Very nice color:) Mine burnt a bit hehe:) ...Thanks so much for stopping by my blog:)