Google
 

June 22, 2007

Easy Aloo Tikki



Mothers and pampering go hand in hand, don't they? These 3 days that I spent at home were marvellous. I just ate and ate whatever was placed before me. I also made Eggless French Toast and the Mango Sandesh. So, it wasn't all eating and no cooking.


But the thing that I find most amazing about Amma is how organized she is. She always has ingredients ready. Boiled potatoes, mixed vegetables, chapati dough, dosa batter, different pastes, preserves, etc. Years of running a family while holding a full time job must have made her this way. She has been making preserves and pastes much before they landed on supermarket shelves... wait... before supermarkets themselves landed in India.


I have really never been a "meals" person. I like my proper thali every once in a while. But I can neither be bothered to make it nor eat it. So, sandwiches, soups, stuffed parathas, kalanda saadam (variety rice!!) all work very well for me. This time, Amma and I were chatting and before we knew it, it was past 11. She got up and said, "Would you like some aloo tikkis?" First I said, "Don't bother", but she asked again. And I said OK. It was kind of like a midnight treat for mother and daughter.


Ingredients:


4 Potatoes, boiled and mashed

1 tsp Chilli Paste

1 tsp Ginger Paste

1/4 cup Coriander, chopped

2 slices of bread

Salt to Taste

Oil for frying


Soak the slices of bread in water for a couple of minutes and squeeze the water out.


Mix the potatoes, chilli and ginger pastes, coriander and salt. Add the bread slices. Form small balls using this mixture and flatten them a little.



Heat the oil in a kadhai and deep fry the tikkis until they turn golden brown on both sides. Drain on absorbent paper and enjoy them with tomato sauce.

13 comments:

Suganya said...

Its always special - Mother and daughter time. And they never get tired of pampering us, do they? Tikki looks appetizing..

Nirmala said...

You missed the key ingredient ;) The "Mom's love" that wud have made her to prepare it for u in the midnight and whatever she would have made for you would have tasted the best as its from Amma.

Raaga said...

@Suganya: Yes. It is truly special. Considering I get aloo mash here, this might be simpler than before :)

@Nirmala: Oops, my bad! I forgot to add it. I agree that anything our mothers make for us is always tasty.

Sia said...

ah!!! i miss those mom n daughter time we used to have. we would sit n talk(gossip is the right word;) for long hours till my dad would come with a wall clock in his hand to show;) miss all those pampering:)
loved this jhat-pat tikkis. quick and delicious with tamarind chuteny.

Raaga said...

We didn't have imli chutney at my mom's place Sia... else the combination of pudina and imli chutneys with these tikkis is heavenly.

Gossip, you say? I won't debate. :-)

Coffee said...

WAH!!!!! Mid-night mother daughter party that was!!!!! And what better than a quick aloo tikki to go with it. :)

Richa said...

yum, will take aloo tikki anytime :) and made at midnight, wow...

FH said...

Midnight?! Whoa!!:D
That's a great snack to have at midnight!! I don't think I was awake at midnight EVER!!:p
Tikkis look great,with Ragda it would be perfect:))

bee said...

simplicity and flavour at its finest. wonderful post, and you have a wonderful mom.

Billychic said...

This looks so wonderful...you just re-acquainted me with a desire to cook this weekend...

And I think I'm going to take lunch early...lol

Great site.

~ d

TheCooker said...

Ah! My kind of a midnight snack.

Suganya said...

You get aloo mash too? :O

Raaga said...

@Coffee: Yeah. These moments make life fun, don't they?

@Richa: When everything is ready... it is easy. And as Nirmala said, the main ingredient is love!!

@Asha: I will make it with ragda now. Have been eyeing yellow vatana for ages now.

@Bee: Thanks Bee. Sometimes the simplest things turn out terrific.

@Billychic: I hope you did cook. And am sure you had fun too.

@The Cooker: Anytime!!

@Suganya: As proof, I took a picture of the packet for my other post. :-)