June 9, 2007

Mushroom and Capsicum on Toast

If there ever was a breakfast number that I could call my very own, this would have to be it. I have always loved cookbooks and I treat Tarla Dalal as my foster mother. I've learnt as much from her as I have from Amma. Though I have never met her, I think I may love her almost as much as I love Amma for teaching me so much that I know.

One of the books of Tarla Dalal's that we've owned for a long time (I can't remember which) has a recipe for Chilli Cheese Toast. I tried this and we all loved it. I decided to experiment a little bit with the dish and slowly added ingredients of my own. I make it as a special breakfast dish on weekends and when I have someone visiting. My cousin, Priyakka, who doesn't eat capsicum has no option but to eat them when I make this. I chop the veggies so fine that if she started to pick the pieces, she'd be eating the dish for dinner.

This morning, I decided to make this for several reasons.

1. It is a Saturday.
2. I had a lot of left over vegetables.
3. My husband, S, is back after a week long trip and I wanted to make something nice.
4. I wanted to send in my signature breakfast dish to Trupti at The Spice Who Loved Me for WBB # 12 : Spice it Up!


1/2 each of Red, Yellow and Green Capsicum, finely chopped
1/4 cup Mushrooms, finely chopped
1 medium Onion, finely chopped
3 pods of Garlic, finely chopped
1/4 tsp each of Basil and Parsley
1/4 tsp Chilli Flakes
1 tbsp Butter
1 tbsp Flour
3/4 cup Milk
1-2 cubes or slices of Cheese, chopped or grated
Salt to taste
6-8 slices of Toast

Melt the butter in a pan and add the chopped garlic and the onions and fry for a couple of minutes. Add the chopped capsicum and fry for a few more minutes. (This looked so colourful that I had to take a picture!)

Add the mushrooms and fry for a couple of minutes. Add the parsley, basil and chilli flakes. Add the flour to the vegetable mixture and pur the milk into this after the flour has fried for 2-3 minutes. Add the cheese and salt and mix well till the mixture thickens.

Spread this on Toast and enjoy it on a weekend morning. You can also spread this on bread and grill it for a few minutes till it browns. This spread can also be used as a stuffing for grilled sandwiches. Or you can just put some on top of Monaco biscuits and make it yummy finger food.


Asha said...

LOL @ yout foster mother!
I have at aleast 10 books fron TD too.Breakfast looks good Raaga.Beautiful color.Enjoy:)

Richa said...

breakfast looks yum, this is my fav too, i also add corn! wish i cud just pick it up right now :)

trupti said...



Raaga said...

Yeah Asha... I keep buying her books and visiting her site.

Richa: I thought of corn last morning too, I don't usually add it... but since my yellow capsicum was bright enough, I decided it was enough.

Trupti: I wanted it to be special!! I usually just put green capsicum and green chilli... made it colourful with more herbs this time.

Thanks all of you. With such support, I will be a regular :)

Arundathi said...

hi raaga - chilli cheese toast from TD is a favorite of mine and my husband's too. I've never actually tried putting other stuff because I love this so much - but chilli flakes, corn and mushrooms sound awesome. gonna try it kandippa

Taste of Mysore said...

hi raaga, really liked your recipe. pics are colorful too.

Raaga said...

@Arundathi: I should go back and try the original sometime... tomorrow maybe :)

@ToM: Even I found the dish so colourful that I had to take pictures :) Thanks :)

Sharmi said...

That looks very beautiful and tasty. will try it sometime. the crackers are good for parties right?

Raaga said...

@Sharmi: Thanks. Yes, they'll be a super duper hit at parties :)

Srivalli said...

Hi Raaga, you have a nice blog here...and this recipe is so colourful...very nice..

trupti said...

Send as many entries you like!!!

Sorry for the delayed reply, things have become busy for me lately....



Vcuisine said...

A nice entry Raaga. Tks for visiting my blog. Will keep visiting here. Viji

Raaga said...

@Srivalli: Thanks :)

@Trupti: If I manage to make it in time, I will send it out :)

@Viji:I'm sure you'll find interesting stuff here. Keep visiting.

Coffee said...

AAH!!!!! I can eat this on and on and on...... thats is so awesome!!!! Very delicious breakfast!!!! :) Like richa said.... corn would be good too. :)

Raaga said...

@Coffee:My mom adds carrot as well sometimes. Variety is definitely the spice of life!

Taste of Mysore said...

Hi Raaga, I tried this spread for my morning brkfast, it was yummm... .......

Raaga said...

@ToM: This is great news. :) I am glad you enjoyed it.

Priyanka said...

Hi raaga, first time on your blog. love the recipe and agree about TD. i own a couple of her boooks too. said...

Dear Raaga,
Glad you sent us this link to our post aout Tarlaji...her recipes are really a treasure. I really liked your Trilcolor picture of veggies...very nice.

Nithya said...

Hi Raaga,

Been a great fan of your blog for a while... but this is the first dish I tried :P. Turned out yummy... was praised for this tasty breakfast today :) Thanks for the recipe!

Raaga said...

Nithya: Glad you liked it :)