Google
 

June 1, 2008

Express Breakfasts featuring Gava Pittye Doddak (Wheat Flour Dosas)

I believe that breakfast is THE most important meal of the day. I try my level best not to miss this one meal. On those mornings when I wake up at 7, I have to make a choice: breakfast or lunch? I try to keep bread at all times so that even if hardpressed for time, I can pop a couple of slices in the toaster and munch on them while doing something else. But I have never been able to ensure that we always have a loaf of bread handy. So I resort to fruit milkshakes, juice and a granola bar, or sometimes I eat a little bit of my lunch for breakfast. When I have 15 minutes to spare, I make poha, upma, eggs, dosa, etc.




Weekends are quite another story. It all depends on my mood. (OK, OK, it depends on when I wake up.) I, at times, end up making a very elaborate breakfast, and at others, I want to make something quick so I don't spend all day in the kitchen. (Despite my love for cooking, despite the fact that I run a food blog that has over 250 recipes, I hate standing in the kitchen for too long. And I am about the laziest person you'll ever meet/come across.)





So, are you all ready to impress me? Are you all ready to help me out on a stressed out morning? Are you ready to show me that making breakfast can be quick and fun. If you are, then you should be participating in this month's Weekend Breakfast Blogging. WBB is an event that started almost 2 years ago. The brainchild of Nandita of Saffron Trail, this event to popularize breakfast has been hopping all over the blogosphere, staying a month each at the blogs of the guest hosts, and has finally arrived at The Singing Chef this month.



The rules of this event are simple.



1. Please me with a real quick breakfast number.


Isn't that fun? OK, wait, here are some real rules:


1. Your breakfast should be ready in 15 minutes or less.


2. The dish can't be something like "buttered toast" or idli/dosa made from batter in the fridge. This means that you can use things from your pantry, but the dish needs to be whipped up then and there. A spread for bread is a good idea, doing something to your idli/dosa batter before making it is great, and a rava idli is something I will definitely accept. Working with leftovers is fine, as is making smoothies. (You do get the drift, don't you?)



3. Send me an email at onlineraga@gmail.com with your name, entry, picture of your dish and permalink to the post with the subject WBB#23. Please link back to this announcement in your post. You can use the logo in your posts.



4. Deadline for sending in entries is June 30th. The 2nd anniversary roundup will be done by the 1st weekend of July.



Here's a very quick breakfast number from my kitchen. The quintessential konkani doddak. It uses stuff that is almost always present in my pantry.






1 cup Wheat Flour
2 tbsp Cream of Wheat (Rava/Sooji)

2 tbsp Coconut, scraped
1 tsp Green Chilli Paste

1/4 cup Coriander, chopped

Salt to taste

Oil for frying


For the tempering:

1 tsp Oil

1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds

1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds

1/4 tsp Asafoetida

7-8 Curry Leaves


Prepare the tempering in a small kadhai and transfer the contents to a mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients except the oil and mix well using a little water. (The batter should not be too watery. just a little thicker than

dosa batter.)



Spread the dough onto a hot griddle and pour a few drops of oil on all sides. Make a slit in the centre using the spatula and pour a few drops into this slit. (This helps the oil reach the centre and aids in crispening that portion.)Turn over and allow the other side to crispen as well.







This can be served with any chutney or podi. I usually have this with Pitti Chitni or Pitle, but this time, I had it with the "Sesamum Chutney" that Nandita sent over in a lovely package. So get going all of you. Send me your amazing breakfast numbers and send them to me quickly!

24 comments:

Sig said...

A 15 minutes breakfast, hmmm does unwrapping the cereal bar count? :) Good luck with the event Raaga darling...

Unknown said...

Yes it does count Sig LOL - but you are far too enthu to take that shortcut...sorry Raaga, this is number 23 - you jumped one :P

FH said...

Godhi dose, I love always! I made Chitranna twice for WBB already, got to think something clever!:D

Anonymous said...

good choice Raaga! I will surely be participating :-) I like Sig's idea :-) Cereal or Oats - nothing can be more express than that :-)
Good luck and have fun with the event! The wheat doddak looks delish!

Deepa said...

"..as finally arrived at The Singing Chef this month. ". This reminded me of the Magic Faraway Tree and various lands arriving on it :). Do you remember that series of 3 books by Enid Blyton? I bought them for Arnav and ofcourse reread them first before even telling him what I had. --Deepa

Srivalli said...

Raaga...I have sent in my entry!..great one..looking fwd to see what can be done in 15 mins!

Anonymous said...

Ragga,I have sent my entry! I am also eager to see what can be done in 15 mins!
Good luck and have fun with the event!

@the_whisk_affair said...

I'm in raaga, enjoyed taking part in the previous edition of MBP here on ur blog...now i have to come up with something for WBB, i am definitely in!

Arundathi said...

what a good idea, raaga - i'll try and whip something up... :D

Anonymous said...

Hi Raaga,

Sure. I will post couple of recipes.

Nandhitha, Raaga says she never misses her breakfast. There is a reason for that energy :E

EC said...

Mailed u with the details of my post for the event..hope u got it

J said...

Maybe I'd munch on a few biscuits...is that allowed? :) Will think of something for your event!

amna said...

wow! u are hosting wbb this month!! nice. i will surely come up with something

Unknown said...

Hmm lemem thicnk.. in 15 mins thats a hard one//

Deeba PAB said...

Posted for Express Breakfasts last night Raaga. Breakfast & then EXPRESS is not my scene...but for you,I DID IT!! Must thank you for the nudge; was a great learning experience! Only downside, everytime I give DH b'fast he times me...grrrrrrrr!! Then announces whether it was express or not; by then I'm ready to dump the plate on his head!!! Will just mail the details to you. Cheers Deeba

Illatharasi said...

Hi Raaga, first time to you blog and this event attracted me:)

I have emailed you my entries, let me know if you need any other details, thanks:)

Vidhya said...

Hi, First time to your blog and looks yummy!

Mailing you my entry. Lemme know if you need some more info.

Thanks

Deepthi Shankar said...

Just Mailed you my entry
Hope you like it
Thanks for hosting such a lovely event :)

Archy said...

Godi dosa !! my mom makes it !!
Shall send u my entry to this event..

Sheetal said...

I hv mailed yo my entry for WBB. THis is my first time so plz let me know of any more details are needed. Thanks!

Hetal said...

Hi dear,can I send an already posted recipe for this event.

Srikitchen said...

you have a surprise in my blog! hurry to see my blog

Varsha Vipins said...

Am in Raaga..:)

Suganya said...

We loved this dosa. Thanks for the recipe, Raaga :)