Google
 

June 22, 2008

Mixed Dal Dosa


Dal, to me, always meant Toor Dal (Split Pigeon Peas). The only other dal I bought and used regularly was Moong Dal (Split Green Gram). Urad (Black Gram) and Chana (Bengal Gram) Dals were meant for idli/dosa and tempering. Over the last few years, I have started cooking with different dals just to add to the variety.


I bought a packet of mixed dal when I first moved here. This bag contains toor dal, chana dal, masoor dal, moong dal and urad dal (both split with the skin on). I used it to make a couple of dal dishes and then it just sat on the shelf till Amma came along and used it up to make Adai. I bought another packet and used it a couple of times. I was left with about a cupful and I decided to make these dosas. No fermentation required.



1 cup Mixed Dal, soaked overnight
3 Green Chillies
2" piece Ginger
Salt to taste


Wash the dal and grind to a paste along with the chillies and ginger. Use enough water to get a dosa batter consistency. Add the salt.


Heat a tawa and smear a little oil on it. Simmer the flame and pour a ladleful of the batter in the centre of the tawa. Quickly spread the batter while forming concentric circles (spiral actually!).



Add a little oil on the sides and centre. Usually not more than 1 small spoonful per dosa. When crisp, carefully turn the dosa over and allow the other side to cook a little. Serve with any chutney, podi or pickle. This recipe yields about 8-10 dosas.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

when i made my first trip to buy dal on my own...i broke out in cold sweat...not just were they too many...but the names....in english were unfamiliar, and telugu and hindi were sooo confusing....so for ages i would refer to them as idli dal, sambhar dal etc!!! mixed dal dosas rock!! they are quick, easy and very nutritious!!

Deepa said...

Adai - been ages since we made them. Thanks!! By the way, I am curious what mixie/grinder/blender you use. ARe you happy with it/them? --Deepa

Raaga said...

@Arundati: I know what you mean... it took me ages too :-)

@Deepa: This isn't adai... this is like a pesarattu with more dals than one :-)

I have a kenstar Karishma food processor and I use it for everything.

Finla said...

I have never has a dosa withmixed dals.
It looks really good

Arundathi said...

how great that you don't need to ferment! this looks delicious!

Jaya M said...

Mixed Dal dosa really look wonderful.
hugs and smiles
jaya