Google
 

June 17, 2008

Fada Ni Khichdi



I cook broken wheat just like rice and, at times, use the two interchangeably. Most of the time, one can easily tell that it is not rice. But in this Gujju dish, it is next to impossible to make out that there is no rice. I think I just might stop making rice khichdi altogether.


3/4 cup Broken Wheat (Dalia), soaked for 30 minutes

1 cup Green Gram (Moong) Dal, washed and drained

1 tsp Oil

1 Onion, chopped

2 cups Mixed Vegetables (Carrots, Beans, Peas, Cauliflower, Potatoes)

1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds

1 tsp Cumin Seeds

1 tsp Peppercorns

1” piece Cinnamon

2 Cloves

1 tsp Green Chilli Paste

¼ tsp Asafoetida

Salt to taste


Heat the oil in a pressure cooker and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida, peppercorns, cinnamon and cloves. After a couple of minutes, add the onions and fry for a minute. Drain the dalia. When the cumin crackles add the dalia, dal and vegetables. Fry for a minute and add the chilli paste and salt. Add about 4-5 cups of boiling hot water and cook for 20 minutes (4-5 whistles).

We had this with some kadhi. It was a complete wholesome meal. Perfect for those weeknights when you are too tired to dish out something elaborate.

8 comments:

Finla said...

Beautiful.
Just looking to the picture makes me drool

Anonymous said...

yet to make something with dalia - this is looking is light coloured bisibelebhaath :)

Raaga said...

@Happy: Tasty and comforting... you can't ask for more, can you?

@Lakshmi: It is almost like BBB without the masala :-)

sra said...

Hi Raaga! I remember seeing some recipe with Fada in Tarla Dalal's cookbook, not sure if this is similar. Looks like sambar rice - a lighter BBB, like you and Lakshmi discussed, I guess!

Raaga said...

@Sra: Must be... let me look it up in her Gujarati cookbook :-) This recipe is from my Gujju friend. And given the similarity of their recipes (Mona's and Tarla's) I think TD's book is a must have :-)

FH said...

YUM!! Looks good Raaga. Never used crushed wheat for this,must try!:)

Tee said...

This has been my lunch everyday for the past 3 months..ever since I gave up rice ( on my quest to (ehm) lose some weight) and never felt like I was missing out on rice..

Fab entry!

Tejal

Anonymous said...

looks fabulous....just the kind of food i crave on a busy night!! (??)