Google
 

June 22, 2008

Karele Ki Sabzi (Bittergourd Curry)



Bittergourd is one of those vegetables that I don't exactly love. It does not fall under the same category as tinda, but I'll admit I'm not as find of this vegetable as many people are. A friend of mine made stuffed karela once and I really loved it. Sometime back, when S was traveling to Goa, I bought a couple of bittergourds because I wanted to make stuffed karela. I ended up making this simple side dish that a friend taught me. Her mantra was simple: lots of onions!


2 medium Bittergourds, sliced finely

2 Onions, sliced

¼ tsp Turmeric Powder

1 tsp Chilli Powder

1 tsp Coriander Powder

1 tsp Garam Masala

1 tbsp Oil

¼ tsp Asafoetida

Salt to taste



Heat oil in a kadhai and add the asafoetida and the onions and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and ginger paste. Fry the entire mixture for 2-3 minutes. Add the bittergourd slices and the salt and fry for another 2-3 minutes. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. When done, add the garam masala and cook for a minute before serving.


Simple and satisfying. And it is something I don't mind making even just for myself. Thanks A, your recipe is a keeper.

8 comments:

FH said...

Arvind likes BG. I make the same way but BG chopped in small bites. Looks yum!:)

Anonymous said...

Dear Raaga, I love bittergourds too, and enjoy adding amchur powder and powdered groundnuts.
Another favourite is dal with bittergourds with a dash of coconut milk. I always like to marinate the gourds in salt and turmeric for 15 minutes, then washing them well before cooking. It makes the veggie less bitter.

Sig said...

Ahhh bittergourd....love this dish... I too make it with a lot of onions for the bittergourd haters, onions really take some of the bitterness away :)

Deepa said...

Bittergourd has many medicinal priperties according to ayurveda. I find it very interesting. My husband LOVES it. Going to make this soon. --Deepa (p.s: We watched Dasavatharam today. Completely and perfectly BAD movie, I thought. Was expecting a lot more...)

Shilpa said...

I think I am going to try this. I cant say I like karela(except for karela pickle). So I think with so much onion, this one should be good :D.

Deepa said...

These days, I take my veggies and come to your site or Madhuram's, and pick a recipe and go for it. I love your simple formatting. And easy language. --Deepa

jenifer lewi said...

today i am trying this receipe. afterwards i will enjoy this dishwith my younger brother.he always says that any dish not good.

Miss Nancy lewis

jenifer lewi said...

today i will try this receipe .