Google
 

June 19, 2008

Undyo

Undyo. Not to be confused with the Gujju Undhiyo. I came to know that this has a Tamil name less than a decade ago. I had never eaten this at any friend's place. Amma made it every once in a while and so did my aunts and cousins on her side of the family. I automatically assumed this is an amchi dish. It was when I took it in my lunchbox that my colleague said, "Oh, upma kozhukattai." I love having these for breakfast and I like to ensure that Amma makes these each time I visit them.




Ingredients:
1 cup RiceRava

1 tbsp Oil
1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
1/2 tsp Urad Dal
1/2 tsp Chana Dal
1 tsp Red Chilli flakes
1 Green Chilli, chopped
1/2 tsp Ginger Paste
7-8 Curry Leaves, chopped

2 tbsp Coconut, scraped
Salt to taste



Heat the oil in a kadhai and add the urad and chana dals. When the urad dal starts to brown, add the mustard and asafoetida. When the mustard splutters, add the red chilli flakes and green chillies, curry leaves and ginger paste. Add 2 cups of water, salt and the coconut and bring to a boil. Add the rice rava and cook for a minute. Take off the flame and cool.


Make small balls of the mixture and make a small depression in the centre. Steam for 7-8 minutes. Serve hot with coconut chutney.



Quick breakfasts are what we're looking for this June. And so this goes to this month's WBB: Express Breakfasts.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Upma kozhukkatai - it is one of my favorite tiffin items.

Aarti said...

Ahh, upma kozhukatai.. :)
when i read the title, i thot it was the Gujju dish(have heard of that from a friend of mine)... Am not too fond of this.. could eat 1 if it has vellam as filling... :)

Deepa said...

This seems like pidi kozhakkattai no? Yummy. --Deepa

Ranjani said...

This looks really interesting! it sounds almost like upma just made into tiny balls right?
I heart upma! I'm going to try this recipe over the wknd.

Arundathi said...

yup we call it upma kozhakattai too - and make it often. kids love it...

FH said...

Kadubu for us!:))

Looks great, I love it too, make it for dinner usually. Looks yum, enjoy!:))

EC said...

Each one of us have a different name for this..but the taste is just one-yummy

Namrata Kini said...

Ur undyo are much more easier. I did not have rice rava so made it from rice. Thanks for visiting my blog.