Google
 

June 24, 2008

Mor Kuzhambu






There are festivals and then there are festivals, but one thing remains constant through it all. Festival food! At our place, a typical Tamil festival menu would comprise rice, yelai paruppu (thick toor dal), mor kuzhambu, yelimichai saathumadhu( a.k.a. Rasam), vadai, payasam, vazhaikkai karumadhu, koottu, appalam, and tayir vadai.

Mor kuzhambu featured once a week in Amma's lunch menu as well. Again, I can't say I always liked this dish, now it feels like I can't get enough of it. I don't know how I didn't get around to posting this earlier.




1-2 tbsp Toor Dal, soaked

1/4 cup Coconut, shredded
1 cup Curds, beaten
1 tsp Urad Dal
1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
2-3 Green Chillies
1 tsp Oil
1/4 tsp Turmeric
Salt to taste
1/2 cup Ash Gourd, cooked


For the Tempering:

1 tsp Cooking Oil
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
½ tsp Asafoetida (Hing)
7-8 Curry Leaves


Fry the urad dal, fenugreek seeds, and green chillies in the oil. Grind this with the coconut, turmeric and soaked toor dal. Add this paste to the curds and bring the mixture to a boil after adding the ash gourd and salt.


In a frying ladle, heat the oil and add the mustard and asafoetida. Add the curry leaves after the mustard has spluttered. Add this to the boiling mixture and serve.

This is my grandmother's recipe handed down to me through Amma. Special days call for special food and today is my Paatti's 95th birthday. So the mor kuzhambu is only fitting! Happy birthday Paatti!


I am sending this to Siri for her
Frozen Yogurt event.
 

9 comments:

FH said...

95!! That is cool! It's hard to find Indian people make it to that age, your paati rocks!:)
Eat more Mor Kozhambu, it's good for you. I love any yogurt dish. Looks great A!

Happy birthday to her and wish her many returns of the day!:))

Aarti said...

hey GUrl

happpy bday to Patti...:)
Today is my granpa's 78th bday.. and we had payasam n avial(which is a festive day speciality here) for lunch... :)

Mor kozhambu was the 1st dish i learnt to make when i started our home cooking stuff... :)love it with vendekkai~~

Finla said...

I love this moru curry unlike you it was always my favourite.
95 years. Happy b'day to your grandmother.
My hubbies grand mother bacame last February 96 and sometimes i remark that she is healthy that all of us.

Unknown said...

Happy bday to ur grandma.I remember having this in my hostel menu..Havent tried this though..

Deepa said...

Mor Kuzhambu is a big deal in our house. My kid's favorite. I love it with dosais. I omit the coconut altogether. Sometimes I add flax seed powder (2 tablespoons, to 4 cups of the dish). I remember visiting your Dad's parents once when I was a kid. I can't remember if you were even born then. I think Hrishikesh existed then! I don't remember your grandparents, but the whole idea of visiting them stayed in my memory. Happy Birthday to your grandma...!! --Deepa

Rajitha said...

a very happy birthday to you paati :)

and OMG..how delicious is that...i am drooling here...all i need is alu-curry and pappadam with that!

amna said...

i make this a lot, but its more yellow :) trying to cook up something for WBB. will send one shortly

Andhra Flavors said...

Happy birthday to Ur grand maa and send my wish to her.
Nice Kuzhambu.

Sia said...

b'day wishes to ur paati:)
raaga, i have mailed my entry for WBB yest itself. i have fwd the mail again. let me know if u've got it or not.