Google
 

June 15, 2008

Kodo ko Roti




RCI has been a fun event. I can't decide which is more fun: trying out recipes that I've tasted but never tried or trying out recipes that I am clueless about. In any case, I always end up doing the most research for this one event.

Again, I did a bit of searching as always. I decided to submit Hakka Noodles just because it was served at the Meghalayan stall at Dilli Haat. But then, that doesn't make the cut, does it? So, I'm posting a dish that I "twisted" to suit my palate. I came across the recipe for Kodo Ko Roti at this site and modified it to make these rotis. The recipe calls for only sugar and ghee to be added to the dough. I made it a little spicy instead.

1/2 cup Ragi (Finger Millet) Flour
1 Onion, finely chopped
2-3 Green Chillies, finely chopped
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
Oil for frying

Mix all the ingredients together and add enough water to make a batter.

To make the rotis, heat a skillet and drop a blob of the batter onto it and spread it. Put a few drops of oil around the roti and cook for a couple of minutes. Turn the roti around and cook the other side too. I had this with some garlic chutney that I'd blogged about here.

I do hope that Bhags of Crazy Curry will accept this as my entry to RCI: North Eastern Cuisine. I'm also sending this to Srivalli as part of her Roti Mela.

3 comments:

FH said...

YUM! I love Ragi rottis. Didn't know they use Ragi too, good for them!:)

Great entry.

I replied to your q at Aroma! You get 2 party goodies as I have suggested there, enjoy!

Father's day today, call your dad and FIL to wish!:))

bha said...

I find trying out recipes i am clueless about makes it fun for me...:)

Kodo ki roti has been taken by wave for this RCI

Purva Desai said...

Kodo ki Roti is very close version of Thali Peeth, a very famous dish in Maharashtra. However, besides Raagi many other flours are used for preparing Thali Peeth.