Google
 

June 11, 2008

Kadgi-Chana Ghasshi




Chana Ghasshi is a very popular konkani dish. (I'd like to think so!!) The dish uses the small black chickpeas which are soaked overnight and cooked. I have eaten this version made at home countless times. I have also eaten Kadgye Ghasshi made from raw jackfruit somewhere. I decided to combine the two and make this. It was finger-licking good. I made it a little dry and thick to go with rotis and then diluted it a little at night to have it my favourite way. With rice, dali saar and batata talasani (potato matchsticks curry!)


Ingredients:



250g Raw Jackfruit, cut and cooked
1/2 cup Black Chickpeas (Kala Chana/ Konda Kadalai), soaked overnight and cooked
2 tbsp Scraped Coconut
3-4 Red Chillies
1 tsp Black Gram Dal (Urad Dal)
1 1/2 tsp Coriander Seeds
1/4 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
1 tbsp Tamarind Paste (Add more or less to taste)
Salt to taste
1 tsp Oil



For the tempering:

1 tsp Oil
1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
7-8 Curry Leaves


Heat the oil in a small kadhai and fry the chillies, black gram dal, coriander seeds and fenugreek seeds. Grind this together with the tamarind paste and coconut. Add a handful of cooked chickpeas to this and grind to a paste.

In a vessel, combine the cooked chickpeas, jackfruit, the paste and salt. Add some water to this and bring to a boil.


In a frying ladle, heat the oil, add the mustard seeds and asafoetida, and when the mustard splutters, add the curry leaves. Add this to the ghasshi and serve hot with rice and dali saar.





Since the JFI this month is about Tamarind and the AFAM this month is about Coconut. I think I'll have a rerun of the RCI Karnataka on my blog this month. All my konkani food recipes shall be out again this June. Off this goes to the two ladies for the "must participate" events.

10 comments:

FH said...

I made Seema's Chana Ghassi last week, so simple and tasty.
I have canned raw jackfruit, must try your's too. Beautiful color, bookmarking it!:))

delhibelle said...

some coincidence..i made jackfruit biryani yesterday. Wish I'd saved some jackfruit to make this ghasshi!

Raaga said...

@Ashakka: It was very tasty...jackfruit has a crunch and at the same time is so meaty :-) and the black chanas gel so well :-)

@Delhibelle: Are you in Delhi? Just grab another packet of the jackfruit pieces :-)

Purnima said...

Raaga, my amma makes fab gashi, thick texture, uses raw jack n seeds 'biccond' too, I haven't eaten kadgey gasshi in years..plus the temple feast alws has kadgey gashi, u can imagine hw tasteful it is made! Tks for sharing!

Sig said...

Jackfruit and chana? Wow, you have some really unique recipes my darling... Thank you for this delicious entry.

Shilpa said...

I love this dish. Its one of my comfort foods. Will be waiting for more of Konk recipes :)

Anonymous said...

didn't know you were a konkani!
Love anything with channa; and importatnly any of the konkani "ambats."

and thank you for commenting and reminding me to see what I have been missing!

Bestest!
Arun

KonkaniBlogger said...

Wow Raaga, This is one of my favourites. Its been ages since I had this now. Yumm yumm yumm..

Suganya said...

This is bookmarked, right away. Super, Raaga.

FH said...

Oh, I have been here before! Hahaha!! Looks delicious, I like the red color than my brown color! I will try your recipe too.