Google
 

June 26, 2008

Bean Cutlets


Dried beans and lentils. I have used them in sundal and some konkani food. I've eaten it in some kinds of koottus. I have also made chhole and rajma. But beyond these, I almost always got stuck with these. I bought myself a huge frying pan last month and so I can finally shallow fry. I inaugurated the pan with these mixed bean cutlets. I used a mixture of pigeon peas, yellow peas, chickpeas, field beans, black eyed beans, and soya beans.


1 cup Mixed Beans, soaked overnight and cooked

2 slices Bread

2 Onions, chopped

2 tsp Chilli Paste

1 tsp Ginger Paste

1 tsp Garlic Paste

Salt to Taste

1 tbsp Oil

¼ cup Bread Crumbs

Oil for frying


Heat the tablespoon of oil. Add the onions and fry for about 3-4 minutes. Add the chilli, ginger and garlic pastes and fry again for about 2-3 minutes. Add the mixed beans and the bread. Season with salt and mash the mixture.


Allow the mixture to cool. Place the bread crumbs on a plate. Make small balls of the bean mixture and flatten them. Roll them in the bread crumbs until they are evenly covered. Shallow fry in a hot pan using a little oil as necessary. Turn them over when they turn brown and cook evenly on both sides.


We ate them with some green chutney and also made a couple of bean burgers with the cutlets. This turned out to be one protein packed lunch!

9 comments:

FH said...

Do you know there is a "Protein rich" food event too? :D

Looks delicious. I make thses with black beans, very nutritious burgers. I miss Kidney beans burgers we used to get at Wimpy's in UK!:)

Anonymous said...

This is something new and looks good. Looks like cake, :)

Laavanya said...

What a delicious, protein & fiber-rich snack that makes....

TBC said...

I have made something similar with chickpeas alone and have been meaning to post it for a long time now. It's such a tasty & filling snack.

Rajitha said...

yum! those would make great burgers..these are the dishes we need to show guys who think veetarian food lacks in protein! i am fed-up of explaining it to them!!

bee said...

they look absolutely delicious. we add some nuts for crunch.

Divya Kudua said...

Hmm..bean cutlets sounds very healthy..why don't you send it to protein rich event going on at sangeeth's blog?

Bharti said...

Oh yum..these look really good. I usually make my bean burgers from cans but I should try these ones from scratch.

Purva Desai said...

This is absolutely nutritious brunch.