Google
 

June 16, 2008

Potato Peas Peanut Poha




I like the way people influence my cooking and food. At ome point, I used to make poha with only potatoes. I didn't add onions to my poha. Then I started making it this way. Then for an earlier WBB, I added soya granules to make it fit in with the theme. An aunt of mine makes poha with green peas. A colleague of mine always asks me to add peanuts to the poha. I ended up making this with the works. This is much easier to make than the mixed vegetable version as there is no major chopping.


Ingredients:
1 Cup Beaten Rice (Poha)
2 tsp Oil
1 Onion, sliced

2 tbsp Peanuts
1 Potato, boiled and cubed

1/4 cup Green Peas, boiled
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
7-8 Curry Leaves
1/2 tsp Chilli Paste
1/2 tsp Ginger Paste
1 tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
Salt to Taste
Coriander leaves and scraped Coconut for garnish


Wash the poha in a colander and allow the water to drain. Do not touch this with your fingers. Add the salt, chilli powder and turmeric powder and toss until the poha is coated evenly with these powders. Keep aside.



Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida. When the mustard splutters, add the green chilli and ginger pastes and the curry leaves. Add the peanuts, onions and potato and saute for a minute or two. Add the peas and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the poha and mix well. Sprinkle some water, cover and cook for 5-6 minutes. Mix well and garnish with coriander and coconut and enjoy it hot.


I have started storing cooked potatoes in the fridge and there is always a bag of frozen peas in the freezer. So, this entire breakfast is ready in under 15 minutes. I'm sending this to myself as an entry for this month's WBB: Express Breakfasts.

12 comments:

FH said...

LOL! Started sending it to yourself now! Looks yummy.
I just posted one for you too. If you like to eat yogurt rice in the morning, you can have the Mosaranna too for WBB!:)

Arundathi said...

I'm still wondering what to send in to you! almost all my breakfasts are express, but none are anything new!

Anonymous said...

Poha is certainly one of my favorites;
and this one looks delicious.

Will ask M to make it over the weekend.
Arun

Deepa said...

oooh. looks lovely. --Deepa

Kalai said...

Lovely idea! Looks delicious, Raaga! :)

Anonymous said...

i think i am using the wrong kind of poha...since i always end up with a mush after i wash and leave it to drain...........your looks fab!!

Deepa said...

Hey, what's the trick to mot mushing up the poha? Note that the ones here are pretty dirty and do need to be washed. Also, I LOVE this photograph - love the suggestion of breakfast (with the newspaper in the background). --Deepa

K.C. said...

Loved the way you said that people influence the way you cook.

Don't you think that is the sign of a good cook? To be open minded enough to take in suggestions and try them out? Great blog! Kayce

Raaga said...

@Ashakka: That's one way to ensure get I enough entries, na??

@Arundathi: Think think :-)

@Arun:
I'm going home over the weekend... so I can say things like, "I'll ask so and so (aka Amma) to make" baaki time, khud ko karna padta hai!

Raaga said...

@Deepa/Arundati: Wash, drain, but don't touch. Touch=mush.

I use the thick poha, not the paper thin one.

@Kalai: Thanks :-)

@KC: The world's divided on that... some folks want to be purists... but I agree with you... I learn different things from people all the time and incorporate what I like best :-)

Purva Desai said...

hey Raaga!! I am visiting your blog for the first time and really liked the recipes which you have posted. I usually make pohas in similar way the only extra ingredient is Peas.

PranisKitchen said...

This is my first visit to ur blog wonderful blog .have a grt varieties of recipes...while preparing this poha dish i used to add urad dal and channa dal for seasoning,not using ginger at allThat will give more taste...