Google
 

September 25, 2007

Geena Sandan (Colostrum Pudding) for a sweet ending





Today is the last day for the RCI Karnataka event. And I am sad to see it end. My posts on konkani food will continue, but I am sure the frequency will be a lot different. I tend not to cook amchi food on a daily basis.





Special events call for special dishes. A farewell is a special event. And as a sweet dish, there is really nothing that I consider more special. One of the reasons I love this pudding is probably the frequency with which I get to eat it. How often do you know of someone who has a cow? And how often does that cow give birth? And how often when that cow gives birth does that someone remember to send you the colostrum or first milk?






But there are times when all of this comes together. So the next time life hands you colostrum, you make geena sandan!!



2 cups Colostrum

3 cups Jaggery

1 tbsp Pepper, ground

4 cups Milk

1 tsp Cardamom Powder


Dissolve the jaggery in the milk and add all the other ingredients. Pressure cook for 3 whistles.


It doesn't get any simpler than this. The only difficulty here is in getting the colostrum. Once that hurdle is crossed, everything is really as easy as p-u-d-d-i-n-g.


While Asha will be busy with her round up of dishes from Karnataka that have poured in, I am presenting a mini round up of dishes that I sent to the






Carrot Kosumbari

Beans Upkari

Appey

Jeera Kotambarya Chitni

Patrodo

Besan Unde

Rulaama Doddak

Akki Roti

Cauliflower Phodiyo

Capsicum Phodiyo

Dali Saar

Chow Chow

Divkadgye Phodiyo

Patoli and Narlya Kheeri

Somashe and Chakli

Cashew Onion Pakodas

Pineapple Sasam

Vatana Ambat

Avrya Bendi

Madgane


More dishes that call Karnataka home on The Singing Chef:


Tomato Saar
Tandlya Roti Ani Lasnye Chitni
Biscuit Roti
Ambya Sasam
Rasayan
Tendlya Talasani
Sabudana Khichdi
Batat Phow
Bread Upkari
Chhollia Ghasshi

Green Akki Roti

And with this special dish, I bid adieu to the RCI Karnataka. Asha will probably have to give me an award for the maximum number of entries. I'm just wondering. For this event, did I have competition??

10 comments:

musical said...

Hey Raaga,

When i was lil', our neighbours in the village used to send us something similar (which we call bowhli in Punjabi), when their buffalos used to give birth.

Raaga said...

I haven't tasted that... I'm sure it would be as yummy :-)

Seena said...

Wow, so many entries..def. you deserves a prize..

How did you get colostrum, do u get them in shops? very spcl recipe!

Raaga said...

@Seena: I am not sure how one goes about getting this... but if you do come across it, you know what to do :)

evolvingtastes said...

Raaga, we call this 'kharwas' in Marathi, and it is one of the few things that is still very very hard to find in the US (I have heard it can be obtained but I have yet to find it). Naturally, distance makes the heart grow fonder, and your picture is making me crave for it even more. Lovely!

Sharmi said...

hmmm miss it a lot. was my favorite in India. lovely.

FH said...

Nope! You are the absolute winner and You should create an award you!:D
Thank you for this too. We call it Ginnu. Sometimes in Summer when we visit grand parents, we would get to eat this!!:))

Grihini said...

Wowwww...great entries for RCI-karnataka. Will go through them all one by one. Sing along ..and continue to treat us with ur amazing recipes, chef! :)

Anonymous said...

I inclination not agree on it. I think warm-hearted post. Particularly the designation attracted me to study the whole story.

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.