Google
 

September 3, 2007

Rulaama Doddak (Thick Rava Dosa)




This post comes in a month after I actually prepared the dish. How do I remember the date? It was S's birthday on the 3rd of August and I made these doddaks for breakfast. (Rulaam is Rava/Sooji in Konkani. Doddaks are thick dosas that are prepared by pressing the dough on to a hot griddle instead of spreading with a ladle. Sometimes, I make them by spreading too. So now you know that I'm no expert!!)


This is a really simple snack. No soaking no fermentation. This used to be weekend breakfast when we were growing up as each doddak takes a little while to crispen nicely.



Ingredients:


1 cup Cream of Wheat

1/4 cup Coconut, scraped

1/4 cup Coriander, chopped

Salt to taste

Oil for frying


For the tempering:


1 tsp Oil

1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds

1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds

1/4 tsp Asafoetida

7-8 Curry Leaves


Prepare the tempering in a small kadhai and transfer the contents to a mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients except the oil and mix well using a little water. (Do not add too much water. The batter should not be watery.)


Pat the dough onto a hot griddle and pour a few drops of oil on all sides. Make a slit in the centre using the spatula and pour a few drops into this slit. (This helps the oil reach the centre and aids in crispening that portion.)


Turn over and allow the other side to crispen as well. Serve with pitti chitni and toop (dry roasted gram chutney and ghee).


As kids, we used to gobble these up with a dollop of fresh home made butter. And we would attempt to finish eating the doddak before the butter melted entirely. I still indulge in this every once in a while, but I stick to having it with the pitti chitni and groundnut oil most of the time.


I waited all this while so I could send this entry to Asha for the RCI Karnataka event.

13 comments:

Finla said...

it looks good, never had the dish. But woudn't mind to have them for brekfast

amna said...

nice one.. i am gng to prepare something next weekend. RCI is constantly on my head but was a little caught up this weekend :)

Latha Narasimhan said...

Nice dish Raaga! I too spread my adai with hands. The secret is to lower the flame a minute before removing the previous dosa. It just needs a days practice.
Nice authentic entry for RCI karnataka!

Sreelu said...

Raaga dear, I am just amazed at all your entries for RCI, Asha would be flooded with your entries.
I love this ,never made this,Bookmarked will try it this week

Padma said...

Nice entry and so easy to make with such convenient ingredients. I look fwd to many more RCI-Karnataka entries!

Chef Jeena said...

lovely recipe raaga :)

Raaga said...

@Happy: Come on over and I'll make these for you. See, I don't need advance notice :-)

Raaga said...

@Nags: My everyday cooking comes up as RCI entries :-) No special effort this time around.

Raaga said...

@Latha: Yeah, the technique must be learnt :-) Even for dosas, I simmer the gas while I spread the batter and then increase it again.

Raaga said...

@Sreelu: Thanks. Asha was expecting a flood, but I hope she was prepared for this :-)

Raaga said...

@Padma: Yes, this is really simple and can be made with no prior planning.

Raaga said...

@Jeena: try it, you're bound to love it :-) Thanks

FH said...

YUMMY! great combo,thanks raaga!:))