Google
 

September 10, 2007

Strawberry Fizz





Ice cream sodas! I'd read about them all the time while growing up. Archies and his gang are always at Pop Tate's having ice cream sodas. For some reason, I didn't ever have them when I was in the U.S. Or maybe I had them and didn't realize what I was having.




I fell in love with the concept and the drink at a place called "Shakes & Creams" in Madras. Ever since, I make them at every opportunity. (The opportunities come very rarely as we never have ice cream or sodas ready at home!!)




Some time ago, I had everything at home. (Soon after we had a houseful of guests for dinner.) So, I was able to enjoy this drink on a weekend. While this drink can be made with about 30 ml of vodka as well, I made it good old fashioned kiddies' way.




For one glass I used:


1 tbsp Strawberry Crush
200 ml Sprite/Plain soda
1 scoop Vanilla Ice cream


Pour the strawberry crush in a glass. Drop the ice cream over it. Pour the Sprite over this. Stir everything together and enjoy it on a hot day.






This is my entry to Meeta's Monthly Mingle. This month's theme is Liquid Dreams.

20 comments:

amna said...

thank u so much for the awesome comment Raaga :) you are not that bad either :D

Finla said...

yeah i remember reading the archies and they having the soda often.
I've to admit i never have made it myself. Maybe one should give it a try

Raaga said...

@Nags: Anytime. :-)

@Happy: You should try. Even just a plain scoop of vanilla ice cream with cola poured over it will be divine!

Rajitha said...

i hear you on the archies comics and drooling on their food.. i could not wait to try hostess twinkies..so when i came her to the US,i went to the vending machine and was in all anticipation to eat, when i saw it had......LARD! yep..gave it to a co-worker..
the strawberry fizz is cute..color and contrast..nice!

Raaga said...

@Rajitha: I love twinkies... I was all of 8 when I ate them and those cupcakes... loved them... was an omnivore in those days... but only in the US... :-)

Thanks

indosungod said...

We used to have this while at school actually in India, added Thumbs up to Vanilla ice cream , it took me a while getting used to it thought, with strawberry, sprite and ice cream this looks pretty too.

Raaga said...

Hmmm... yeah, I too discovered this in 9th standard. But I never was much of an ice cream or cola person... but the combination, I couldn't resist.

Nupur said...

That looks so refreshing! You reminded me of the wonderful "strawberry crush" from the Mahabaleshwar region. Hard to find a good strawberry syrup here in the US.

Raaga said...

@Nupur: I only use that stuff... Mapro crushes and syrups... our pantry looks like a small showcase for Mapro :-)

Shall I send some over?

FH said...

Never had one of these,looks wonderful Raaga.Great entry for Liquid dreams,made it on the last day!:))

Raaga said...

@Ashakka: I'll make this for you... promise. And I had it in my folder for almost a month and am posting it today. Thanks

Meeta K. Wolff said...

I used to read Archies too! Ice cream sodas - now that brings back great memories!

Raaga said...

@Meeta: Memory food :-) if there ever was one :-)

Pooja V said...

Ice cream sodas n Archies sounds like my childhood days...love 'em both.

Padma said...

Mind blowing Raaga!

sunita said...

The drink looks wonderful...

Pragyan said...

You brought back fond memories of Archies and soda-icecream mix :)

Viji said...

Lovely drink Raaga. Viji

Sig said...

:) Oh yeah Archies... You know how bad I wanted to have hamburgers after reading about jughead munching down dozens in a sitting :) anyways, your ice cream soda looks very refreshing... I love pop and ice cream combo :)

Raaga said...

@Pooja & Pragyan: We all grew up on the same staples :-)

Padma, Sunita and Viji: Thanks

Sig: I thought one could hog hamburgers... :-) when I struggled with my first, I knew I had a long way to go!!