Google
 

September 5, 2007

Chocolate Chip Buns



Janmashtami is a very important festival for us. At my mother's family home in Bombay, there are Bhajan sessions each evening for 8 days and not just the family, but the entire neighbourhood gets together to sing. Everyday, the idol of Krishna is dressed in a different form and there is a different Prasad each evening. On the last day, the children come dressed as Krishna and the Gopis and they get little treats from everyone.



At my parents’ place, Srijayanti is celebrated on one day and it is all about food, really. Fruits, savouries and sweets. I wanted to try out a sweet dish today. I thought about several things. My friend Prajakta said she’d
come visiting with her daughter and offered to bring some kheer. The traditional sweet dish had been taken care of. Though I've always wondered how these traditions have come to be. Who decided that Krishna likes only seedai or aval? We were told that and we accepted it. I thought that if the Dashavatars had existed in this day and age, Krishna would have loved Cadbury's just as much as he enjoyed butter.



God does exist everywhere. And on a festival such as Janmashtami, when children don beautiful costumes and become little Krishnas and Gopis, I decided to make a little something that kids would love. And since it has no egg, onion or garlic, even traditionally speaking, it becomes worthy of being offered as naivedyam. The little one who came dressed as a Gopi yesterday to my place was dressed as Krishna the day before. So, here's my little treat for dear little Krishna on his birthday.


Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups Flour
1 1/2 tbsp Yeast
1 1/2 tbsp Oil
1 1/2 tbsp Sugar
3/4 tsp Salt
2 tbsp Chocolate Chips
1/4 cup Milk
1/4 cup Boiling Water
Oil for greasing bowl and baking tray
Coloured sugar confetti for decoration




Take a huge mixing bowl and place the oil, salt and sugar in it. Add boiling water and mix until the sugar dissolves. Add the milk now to bring the mixture to room temperature. Add the yeast and mix well. Add the flour, chocolate chips and 1 tbsp of cocoa butter icing and knead into a dough. Place the dough in a greased vessel and cover it with a damp muslin cloth. Allow to rise until double in size (roughly 45-50 minutes).

Knead the dough for a minute on a floured surface and then divide into 16 - 20 equal rounded portions and place them on a greased baking tray.

Allow to rise for 50-60 minutes and then bake in an oven at 400 F for 12-15 minutes.

When the buns are cool, spread a little cocoa butter icing on each and sprinkle with sugar confetti.

This is the stuff that dreams are made of. This was my first attempt at making sweet buns. The flavour was very similar to that of a chocolate doughnut and we could eat it with about 80% less guilt. Some of the buns have gone into the little one's tiffin for today and were also eaten for breakfast by S and his colleagues.


My first Janmashtami celebration cooking was a success. I'm sending this to Latha for her Janmashtami event. These buns were ideal for a breakfast on the go and I made them using left over Cocoa Butter Icing from S's birthday cake. So this is also my entry to the Weekend Breakfast Blogging # 15, the theme of which is Breakfast using Leftovers. WBB is the brainchild of Nandita of Saffron Trail and, after doing the rounds of different guest hosts' blogs, has come back to the Saffron Trail this month.

Yesterday was also the birthday of a very dear friend. Aarti: as promised, these are for you.

48 comments:

Anonymous said...

im sure little krishna of this age and time would be addicted to those :D

Raaga said...

@Lakshmi: Thanks. It is just the way I reason with myself :-)

Raaga said...

Here's a message from Latha:

Dear raaga,
Visited your site a few minutes back, but your comments page was not opening. The Internet has been slow since morning and I have not been able to log in to many sites.
I agree with you that krishna would have loved chocolates and buns as much! In ISKON temple here in Bangalore, you get even eggless cake for prasaadam.
About our culture and food habits, there is more than what we perceive. More on that later.
Thanks for this unique entry!
with best wishes and regards, latha.

Raaga said...

Thanks Latha. I do understand that there's more to some of this than meets the eye. This is just the way I see things :-)

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Raaga, Don't know about bhagwaan Krishna but my little krishna definitely loved them. He said 'mummy tell aunty to give me some' He was drooling over them. Lovely.

Srivalli said...

nice ones raaga...will try these sometime...btw...expecting something from you for my event this time...:)

Raaga said...

Hmmm Lakshmi... you have a little one? Wow... I'll send some over :-)

Raaga said...

@Srivalli: 100%... count on me this time :-)

Thanks

archana said...

Raaga they are looking lovely :)

Finla said...

Not only kids , i would have also loved them. And the chocolate layer yum yum

Bong Mom said...

If I stayed nearby I would end up at your house instead of the bakery. You really bake so well !!!

Padma said...

That is one kinda of prasadam that lil Krishna will grab on! Loved it! Yeah even I have to say you are a good baker

FH said...

Krishna got ultra modern chocolate cup cakes!! Isn't he lucky? :D
Great entries,didn't about WBB #15,I don't know whether I can cook much until next week:)

Viji said...

Nice looking buns Raaga. But one doubt - will oil and chocolate go together? Viji

Sreelu said...

Raaga Krishna would have loved your choclote buns now who can resist the tempatations of chocolate, I am sure kids got a kick out of it.You girl are on a baking spree.Feel inspired to bake

Chef Jeena said...

Hi Raaga lovely recipe I bet they tasted great, nice pics :)

Anonymous said...

Thats true, who says Lord likes only seedai! He would be devouring pastries and brownies in this day and age....same philosophy here...

Yummy yummy buns and I love yeast buns!

bee said...

your attitude rocks, raaga. and so do your buns. they look reasonably healthy too.

Laavanya said...

Pretty chocolate buns there Raaga...

TBC said...

Hot chocolate buns :-)
Anything with chocolate in/on it, I love!

Mishmash ! said...

The buns look quite modern and glamorous..:) something like the choco frosted donuts here :)

Shn

Manasi said...

Yep, He sure wud love 'em!!!! They look so very very yummy!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Raaga,
Choco-bun looks lovely...Krishan would sure love some different sweet, that too chocolate...

bha said...

contemperory food for the krishna of this age...........chocolate buns look amazing

Pooja V said...

i second u tht little krishna wud hv loved cadbury. ur hot choclate buns r mouth watering..yummy.

Suganya said...

I am sure Krishna was impressed with you ;) You rock, Raaga!

Eduardo Waghorn said...

Hey!!! Do you want to turn me hungrsy all the time?:)
(Joke)
What is your native language? In India there's a lot of languages.
Could you send me greetings to my blog on your language, even your own scripture?
Thank you!

Rajitha said...

raaga.. the minute i looked at them.. i thought chocolate doughnuts without that hole...yummmy..actually this is a kid friendly treat and seedais u know who are muching those ;)

Sig said...

lol, thats so true, modern krishna would sure be addicted to ice cream.... and those are some good looking treats for even god to resist :)

Raaga said...

@Archana: Thanks :-) When are you coming over? I am waiting.

Raaga said...

@Happy: We always use kids as a nice excuse, don't we? And then we gorge :-)) At least this time the buns went into Sudi's tiffin and the 3 year old was thrilled.

Raaga said...

@Sandeepa: Everytime I bake a batch of whatever, my husband tells me I should quit my job and start a bakery :-) I'm honoured. Thanks

Raaga said...

@Padma: Honoured :-) I thought why not have a little change in routine for Krishna :-)

Raaga said...

@Ashakka: Thanks :-) You have plenty of time for WBB 15. No hurry :-)

Raaga said...

@Viji: They do. Even I had the same doubt as I'd only made spicy buns before and never the sweet variety. But it turned out very well.

Raaga said...

@Sreelu: Thanks. I did more baking than I've posted. :-) And it feels good :-)

Raaga said...

@Jeena: Thanks. They were delicious.

@Nandita: Shall I send some over? Thanks. In any case whatever we eat is food fit for the Gods, right? Or so I believe :-)

Raaga said...

@Bee: Thanks girl. I agree with the reasonably part. The next time I will start using wheat flour and flour in some proportion and see how that turns out.

Raaga said...

@Laavanya, TBC: Thanks!!

@Shn: They did taste so like the chocolate doughnuts that we get here... only they were baked and not fried. :-)

Raaga said...

@Manasi, Madhu, Bhags, Pooja, Suganya: Thanks girls. I agree that the times are changing and it is time to merge the old with the new.

Raaga said...

@Eduardo: My mother's native language is different from that of my father's and my husband's native language is a completely different third. :-) And yet, they are all South Indian languages. You are right, there are so many languages. My mother tongue has no script, but I will send you greetings in my father tongue :-)

If you're hungry, I'll send some buns over.

amna said...

i am thinking of making these for MBP - bread! thats provided i get chocolate chips! keeping fingers crossed!

Raaga said...

@Rajitha: Kids, God, what's the difference? We make things in their names and then we sit and hog them.

Thanks :-)

Raaga said...

@Sig: We see God in children :-) and so I was fairly certain that a child God would love this.

Raaga said...

@Nags: If you don't get chocolate chips, just break up a dairy milk bar into small bits. It works just as well.

Anonymous said...

Hey
Choco buns looks gr8.I am planning to make it today. Can u clear a doubt of mine. What kind of yeast did u use ? Is it active dry yeast?
I have only active dry yeast with me.
Rgds
Nitha

Raaga said...

Hi Nitha,

I used fresh yeast, but you could use one envelope of active dry yeast.

amna said...

i made these again, this time with no changes. came out fab and totally floored my aunt :)