Google
 

September 19, 2007

Cheesy Wheat Bread

There are a few things I've always wanted to do. Bake my own loaf of bread, for instance. I made bread earlier, but that wasn't a loaf. It was a ring. When dear Coffee came up with this month's MBP: Bread, I knew I would participate. I had been eyeing Anita's potato bread for a really long time. And this seemed like just the opportunity I was looking for.





I made a few changes. For starters, I halved the recipe. I replaced the potatoes with about 1/4 cup of Cheddar Cheese. I increased the flour to atta ratio.

2 cups Flour
1 cup Atta
1 1/2 tsp Mixed Herbs
1/2 tsp Chilli Flakes
1/4 cup Cheddar Cheese, grated
1 cup Water
1 tsp Yeast
1 1/2 tbsp Oil
3/4 tsp Salt
Sesame seeds for sprinkling




I followed Anita's instructions mostly. I didn't alow it to rise for an hour and a half after placing the dough in the loaf tin. (I now realize that I should have!)





My loaf was very beautiful to look at. And the slices tasted heavenly. The bread was a little denser than I would have liked. I will allow it to rise for much longer and use just half of these ingredients for my next loaf. But the flavour of the cheese blended so well with the herbs and this bread is a lovely accompaniment to any soup.

And Coffee: this one is for you. My favourite aromas in the kitchen would be:

Freshly brewed coffee
Tomato Soup boiling on the stove
Amma's pizza in the oven

These are not just favourite aromas, like Jai and Bee said, these are always like a big hug.

9 comments:

FH said...

Raaga, you are getting better and better at baking girl, looks so yum with cheese on top!:))

Laavanya said...

That's one lovely looking loaf of bread Raaga. Way to go. I love cheese and herbs in bread.

musical said...

Home made bread gives such a thrill, doesn't it :). Lovely bread, dear!

Finla said...

It does look great.
Tou can't beat the small of home made bread

Raaga said...

Thanks all...home made bread does give you a new high :-) and with yummy herbs and cheese, you can't go wrong!

Sreelu said...

Raaga, what a perfect color on the loaf.nothin tops home made bread

Raaga said...

Thanks Sreelu... I was quite thrilled myself with the result :-)

Anonymous said...

That turned out well! I bet the addition of cheese made it only better. Try adding the potato (but follow the steps exactly - I messed up when the second time around I just added all the ingredients in no particular order) - it makes for a wonderfully soft and light bread.

I have got myself some gluten now, so my whole wheat atta breads will get a whole new life.

Divya and Chaya said...

hi raaga, amchi like u. love all u'r amchi cooking! added u to our blogroll