Google
 

September 22, 2007

Pineapple Sasam



Hot and sweet at the same time? Is that possible? Outside of Indian Chinese? Yes. Konkani food can be sweet, sour and hot all at once.

Sasam is a very simple dish made with mango, pineapple or mixed fruits.
The name is derived from the main ingredient, sasam, or mustard.

Ingredients:

1 cup Pineapple, chopped
2 tbsp grated Jaggery
Salt to taste

To be ground to a paste:

½ cup scrapped coconut
2-3 red chillies
1 tsp Mustard seeds

Place the pineapple pieces in a bowl and add the jaggery and salt. Allow it to marinate a bit.

Grind the ingredients for the paste. Add this to the pineapple and mix well. Chill and serve.

An amchi favourite at weddings and when the fruits are in season, this goes to Asha for the RCI Karnataka event. Mustard being the main flavouring ingredient here, this also goes to Sunita for her monthly event
Think Spice... Think Mustard.

21 comments:

FH said...

Sasam looks delicious, sweet and savory at the time.Slurp!!:)
Thanks Raaga.

Raaga said...

Ashakka: Are you sitting on my blog waiting to jump onto a new post? If yes, I am honoured :-))

evolvingtastes said...

You are an 'amchi'? I have a very good amchi friends at whose place I have had many delicious meals. This sasam sounds terrific. I had been looking for an authentic recipe, so thanks!

Manasi said...

Yep... love the twin taste! I made something similar, we call it pineapple kairas! I LOVE it!!

Laavanya said...

When I saw the title of your post on FBD, i thought you had accidentally mis-spelt Rasam.. :) Didn;t know there was a dish like this.. looks interesting.

Pooja V said...

I so adore you for all these typical konkani recipes. sasam is v close 2 my heart.

Rajitha said...

i thought the same thing as laavanya..then i felt nah!..hot and sweet..yumm..i love that combo

Roopa said...

looks deliicous Raaga :) nice entry !

Chef Jeena said...

Wonderful pinnapple recipe Raaga it looks lovely. :)

musical said...

Lovely! Sasam is same as saasive, right? Never tried with pineapple, now i must!

Cynthia said...

This is very interesting, Raaga.

Raaga said...

@ET: I am half amchi, on my mother's side.

@Manasi: We make capsicum kairas... never tried it with pineapple... saw it on your blog though :-)

@Laavanya: I even intended making Pineapple Rasam... so you're not that wrong in thinking :-)

Raaga said...

@Rajitha: An acquired taste this is :-) or so my dear hubby says :-)

@Pooja: Everyday cooking :-)

@Roopa, Jeena & Cynthia: Thanks :-)

Raaga said...

@Musical: I don't know... going by the name, it probably is :-) Not very good with Kannada.

Anonymous said...

Yummy Raaga, it is my favorite. Haav tugele gahra etta!

Anonymous said...

We call this sasav. And we usually make it with ripe mangoes. To die for. Definitely.

Anonymous said...

yummy - sasam is like a fruit spread and a pickle rolled into one dish!! your bottle will be licked clean in a matter of few days if I were somewhere close to your place - :D. i also like the mango version.

Sharmi said...

I have noticed that all the karnataka cusine have a paste for their curries. this one looks nice.

Aarti said...

Woww, this is interesting.. last evening our cook made pineapple jam, and i loveeeeeeeeee it.. have also had pineapple rasam.. but not tried this out..

adding to my "to cook" list... which is growing longer n longer by the day~~~ sigh~!!!

sunita said...

That's such a novel recipe...thanks for sending it over :)

Mahek said...

hi
Raaga,
what a wonderful name...
are you a konkani?
I too am from Goa and speak pure konkani at home.
hope to keep in touch.
bye
mahek