Google
 

September 28, 2007

Vazhaikkai Podimas




Bananas. One of those fruits people love or hate, but can't ignore. I have a funny relationship with the banana. And I haven't given it a name yet. I am not fond of the small yellow bananas and love the green ones. But the green ones give me acidity, so I don;'t know what to do. The yelakki variety that I got in Bangalore I absolutely love. And can eat those without thinking twice.


As a raw vegetable, the possibilities are endless. Raw banana fritters made this way, vazhakkai karumadhu and chips of course. But all these are oil intensive and there are times when I want my fill of banana without the fat. And it is at such times that I crave podimas.




This recipe is adapted from Samaithu Paar.

2 Raw Bananas, steamed and peeled

2 Red Chillies

2 tbsp Urad Dal

2 tbsp Chana Dal

1/4 tsp Asafoetida

Salt to Taste

a few drops Oil


Heat the oil and roast the urad and chana dals. Add the red chillies and the asafoetida. Cool completely and grind to a powder.


Place the powder on a large plate and mash the bananas onto the powder. Add salt and mix thoroughly. Enjoy this with hot rice or as a side dish with rice and
sambar.


Off this goes to Mandira of Ahaar for her JFI - Banana Event.



Nags
had asked all of us to show her our cookbooks. I have so many cookbooks now that it is difficult to pick one and showcase that as a favourite. There are cookbooks that I'd consider favourites which I've left behind when I was moving here. They wait patiently for my return. But since the entire month of September was dedicated to amchi cuisine, I am showcasing the book that I referred to the most in this month.



Written by Ambabai Samshi, this book would classify as the Bhagvad Gita for anyone who is looking to learn Chitrapur Saraswat cooking. I have to reduce the spices a great deal, but when I follow a recipe, I can be certain that it will taste just like the food Amma or my aunts prepare.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow this is soo amazing an d soo many recipes!!! Love your blog and will be trying out stuff soon...rest ensured Im not going to run out of great recipes to try :)!

amna said...

thanks for sharing, raaga. One small thing though. The from my name 'Nags' goes to Ahaar :) can you please rectify that when you have time?

Thanks again! See you at the round up!

FH said...

Banana recipes are everywhere.Looks delicious Raaga.
I LOVE that book! Wish I had it, looks very authentic Saraswat cookbook.Great entry for Nags!:))

Nirmala said...

Bananas are so much tastier in India then in the US. Your recipe reminds me of eating bananas straight off the tree.

mb said...

great entry for JFI! Thanks :) stay tuned for the round up! -- Mandira

Laavanya said...

I love vazhakai podimas but somehow it doesn't taste the same with the vazhakais here in the US so don't make it much these days. I add chopped onions and ginger and finish off with some grated coconut - like my mom does.

Sreelu said...

hmm Raaga I love yellaki bale the ones found in Bangalore. sabji looks delicious

Sig said...

It is raining bananas - the green variety - today :) Another new book... so you had to reduce the spice level from the book, then I must love it... love my food hot and spicy :)

Cynthia said...

Ouuuu, another dish for me to try.

Sharmi said...

never made podimas have to try out sometime! looks so good.

Prabha said...

Hi Raaga,
I was trying to get this book Rasachandrika and found it is out of stock.Can you please let me know where you can get it.
Thanks,
Prabha