Google
 

September 7, 2007

Cauliflower Phodiyo (Fried Cauliflower)



A traditional amchi meal would have sheet (rice), dali saar or dali toy (dal), upkari (steamed vegetable) or talasani, masla randeyi (coconut gravy item), kosumbari (salad) and dhayi (curd) or taak (buttermilk). And then there are papads, vadiyo, and phodiyo. Papad could be the usual urad papads or the special chilli papads. Vadiyo are prepared in the summer and give us endless moments of happiness during the other months.

Phodiyo (plural for Phodi) are made with fresh vegetables. These are not to be confused with Bajey which are like the bajjis of Tamilnadu or the pakoras of the North. While bajeys are coated with gram flour batter and deep fried, phodiyo are smeared with spices and then deep fried. With bajeys you run the risk of leaving the vegetable uncooked, but with phodiyo, there is not the slightest chance.





These cauliflower crisps are very unusual and everytime they are made (which is rare to start with) they disappear before I can get to them.


1 cup Cauliflower florets

1 tsp Chilli Powder

1 tsp Cumin Seeds

1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder

2 tsp Lime Juice
2 tbsp Gram Flour
Salt to Taste
Oil for deep frying


Mix the salt, chilli powder, turmeric powder and cumin seeds together and make a paste using the lime juice. Apply this to the cauliflower florets like a marinade and leave aside for 10-15 minutes. Alternatively, you can place all the ingredients (including the cauliflower florets) in a vessel and mix them.



Heat the oil in a kadhai.



The florets will have released some water by this time. Add the gram flour to the florets so that it absorbs the water and mix well.



Deep fry the florets in the oil and drain on a paper towel.



Enjoy these as snacks on a rainy day, as an accompaniment to your meal or serve them as starters when you have guests. Better still, have these ready when you sit down for a drink on leisurely evening. These will take you to heaven before you even say "yummy!"



I intend to try and bake these "Nupur style" the next time I make them.







This is off to dear
Asha for the RCI Karnataka event. Now you all know why she had to get her eyes fixed before this event. I have started to flood her mailbox and we're less than 2 weeks into the event.

27 comments:

Latha Narasimhan said...

A recipe a day for RCI! have some mercy on Asha!:D Great recipes raaga!

Latha Narasimhan said...

Raaga, uppu kozhukatai recipe is also there in the varalakshmi viratham page.

Mallika said...

bengalis eat this all the time beside their bhaath and dal (rice and lentils). Really brought back memories of home.

FH said...

HeHe!! I wanted to fix my eyes BEFORE Sept girl but that doc kept on pushing it forward!:D
Love the Gobi Phodiyo,I make it with green peppers, will try with Cauliflower. Thanks, bring them on baby!! I don't mind, will check my mail this weekend and start organizing!

Unknown said...

Raaga, that is really a nice dish, wish I could grab it off the computer. I'm starving, and nobody around me has anything to eat!

amna said...

heyy this is awesome as a starter, right?

Sreelu said...

Hey Raaga this sounds exactly like the dish I made earlier.I love shallow fried cauliflower

Finla said...

Excelent dish, i can just eat them like that.
If i know the plate will be empty before i reach the table for eating, my trick is to taste them when i am busy making it :-)))

Coffee said...

I can keep eating this on and on and on and on and..........

Bong Mom said...

that looks like a simple tasty dish. Next my cauliflower will be done this way

Laavanya said...

That looks so good Raaga. Pls Let me know if the baking works when you try it.

Chef Jeena said...

Hey Raaga lovely recipe I love Cauliflower! :)

sunita said...

Looks really good...think you can pass some over?:)btw, where's my mustard:D

Padma said...

Looks lovely, I make Gobi 65 where i deep fry the florets lil close to what your recipe says ...simply love them!

Pooja V said...

i so like this blog....luv d way u write these recipes. I can never get enuf of these goan-ish recipes. We make phodi d same way but we roll them in rawa n shallow fry. Try it smtime.

Sig said...

oh yummy raags... crispy cauliflower... still bombarding poor Asha... :) she will have to dedicate a section for you in the round up...

Sharmi said...

looks simple and yum!!

Raaga said...

@Latha: Thanks. Laksh pointed it out to me.

@Mallika: I knew it... cuisines across the country have stuff in common!!

@Asha: I make a variety with peppers too... will come on in a couple of days. Slightly different version.

@Sra: This food blogging does make me perennially hungry.

Deborah Dowd said...

These look really delicious, and a completely different way of enjoying cauliflower!

Raaga said...

@Nags: This is awesome... period :-). Yup... makes a great starter.

@Sreelu: Hmmm... this is deep fried though. Would love to try a shallow fried version.

@Happy: Under the pretext of tasting!!

@Coffee: Join me in the kitchen... that way it will never reach the table :-)

@Sandeepa: Let me know how it turns out :-)

Raaga said...

@Laavanya: I tried baking with another vegetable and it turned out yummy... will try this next time :-)

Raaga said...

@Jeena: I love it too... especially this way!!

@Sunita: you have to join me in my kitchen :-) Mustard must have reached you by now :-)

@Padma: Gobi 65... I had it once at a Hyderabadi restaurant and drank some 10 glasses of water after that. Maybe I should use your recipe and try at home. :-)

Raaga said...

@Pooja: Thanks for the variation... will try. And thanks girl :-)

@Sig: I hold myself back at times... but then think... what the heck... I'll help her out if need be :-) Do try this... you'll love it.

Raaga said...

@Sharmi: Thanks :-) simple and easy.

@Deborah: Welcome to my blog. I hope you try this soon.

Aarti said...

yumm,yumm.. am gonna try this today evening.. simple and easy....:)

hey,thanks for that food blog event, go the details from here lady...

Raaga said...

Hey Aaroo: Do try it and let me know :)

Viji said...

This is yummy one, Raaga. Viji