Google
 

April 25, 2009

Mushroom Peas Masala


When mushrooms are in "season", you can always find a packet in my fridge. By season, I mean when a packet costs between Rs. 15 and Rs. 25 for 200g. During the summer months, the price shoots up to Rs. 250 a kilo and I miraculously manage to do without them. Somehow, even when my fridge is full of mushrooms, I rarely think beyond my tried and tested recipes. Soup or pasta is usually where the mushrooms land up. On rare occasions, I make breakfast or a snack using mushrooms. I do have a few Indian recipes that we both enjoy, but somehow I don't always look at a bag of mushrooms and go "Indian".


1 cup Mushrooms, diced

1/2 cup Peas, cooked
1 Onion, chopped finely
1 Tomato, chopped finely
1 tsp Ginger Paste
1 tsp Chilli Powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
1 tsp Kitchen King Masala
1 tsp Oil
Salt to taste


Heat the oil in a kadhai. Add the cumin seeds. When they crackle, add the onions and fry for a couple of minutes. Add the ginger paste along with the turmeric, coriander and chilli powders. Add the Kitchen King Masala, salt and the tomato and fry for 3-4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and fry for a couple of minutes. Add the peas with about 1/4 cup of water. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes.

This dish is ready in very short while and tastes great with chapattis. I am not so sure about rice, but you could give it a shot. With the tang of tomatoes and the sweetness of peas, I'm sending this loaded dish to this month's FIC: Red and Green.

14 comments:

Gita Jaishankar said...

This is a good one Raaga, usually I make mushroom masala without adding peas...adding peas does seem to be good idea, looks delicious as well :)

Finla said...

Wow i am so glad mushrooms are always in abudence here.
Love the mushroom pea dish.

Priya Sriram said...

Curry looks way too delicious! Peas and mushroom, great combo! :)

A_and_N said...

A loves mushrooms. This is like a made for him type of dish :)

Pooh said...

One of my favorite dishes. Yours looks delicious.

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Wow lovely color Raaga looks delectable... Do send this recipe to http://simpleindianfood.blogspot.com/2009/03/wyf-side-dish-event-announcement.html - Wfy side dish too... This will make a wonderful entry for the event...

Arundathi said...

I love mushrooms and peas! Delicious!

Aarti said...

I love mushrooms.. anyday... luckily we get them almost thru the year here... :)

btw, do u know how to make sarson ka saag? had it in a resto in bby, and lovedddd it!!!

Deepthi Shankar said...

that looks really good .. Iam not very fond of mushrooms but my hubby is very fond of it

Pooja said...

Curry looks delicious..nice combo of peas and mushrooms :)

Shama Nagarajan said...

lovely recipe....yummy too

Cham said...

My mom does this combo, looks cool ur side dish!

Unknown said...

Mushroom and peas form a great combo! Nice recipe Raaga.

Miri said...

I agree - mushrooms to me sound too good to be "wasted" in a generic pyaaz tamatar bhuna masala gravy which can have any other vegetable in it.
Mushrooms to me mean Chinese or pasta or a soup