Google
 

April 21, 2009

Mixed Fruit Bran Pancakes


I love pancakes, but I'm not sure I could eat them everyday. Not for breakfast at least. 9 out of 10 times, I'd vote for a savoury breakfast. I eat salted oats porridge with a sprinkle of molaga podi, much to the surprise of my colleagues who cannot imagine eating a porridge that isn't sweet. But I like jam on toast and pancakes with syrup as a sweet variation.



1/2 cup Flour

1/2 cup Wheat Flour

1/4 cup Wheat Bran
1 tbsp Brown Sugar
1 Egg
1 cup Milk
1/4 cup Mixed Dry Fruits
½ tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Butter
A pinch of Salt
½ tsp Butter for frying


To Serve:
Maple Syrup/Fruit Cocoktail/Fresh Fruit


Beat the egg and then add milk. Gradually add the flour, wheat flour, wheat bran and the baking powder while continuing to blend. Add the sugar, salt, and butter and mix well. Blend in the dry fruit.



Heat the pan and add the butter. Coat the entire pan with the melted butter. Pour a ladleful of the batter onto the pan. Do not spread it with the ladle. Allow the batter to flow and form a circle. Cook for a minute and turn over. Cook on the other side for about half a minute and then transfer to a plate.



Repeat with the remaining batter. Stack the pancakes on a plate and serve hot with maple syrup or fruit cocktail. I had a can of fruit fiesta cocktail that my friend brought for me. The combination of these pancakes and the fruit cocktail was very nice. S had his stack with maple syrup and I'm certain he enjoyed every bite.

18 comments:

FH said...

I would go for savory breakfast too but pancakes are easy to make. Looks healthy!:)

Finla said...

Hi hi first time i am hearing someone eating oats with podi.
I too love savoury breakfast than the sweet ones.
I love pancakes then for my afternoon coffee.
This one look yumm.

chef and her kitchen said...

Even i would go for savoury breakfast..preferably proper south indian brkfast...
u made pancakes more healthy..

Deepthi Shankar said...

I too would prefer a savoury breakfast .. nice pan cakes

Gita Jaishankar said...

Healthy pancakes Raaga, I am going to try these this weekend! Oatmeal with podi sounds very interesting :)

Cham said...

He he I am savory too, The syrup and sweet thing never intrigued me, i like the fruit u served.

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Wow Bran pancakes are very healthy and delectable... and a great combo of fruits served with the pancakes...

Priya Sriram said...

Fruit pancakes? Sounds new and delicious! I would love to taste them! :)

Cynthia said...

I don't eat dairy often and when I do, I usually have to take some medication before I eat to that I can digest the dairy. That's what I had to do when I had the Molee, the cake and the scones! I made those things far apart. I usually only eat dairy about twice a month if that often :) Thanks for pay attention :)

Pavithra said...

Oats with milagai podi sounds like a novelty... havent thought of that!!! :)

Meeta K. Wolff said...

what a great recipe raaga! i really do like sweet breakfasts unlike you - but if i ate pancakes everyday i probably would look like one too!

Priya Suresh said...

Yea i'll go for savoury pancakes too, healthy pancakes, looks delicious!

Sree vidya said...

Hiii,
Nice blog you have.
I went thru most of your posts on an evening sipping a cup of filter coffee.It was a good experience.
I am a novice blogger and ppl like u inspire me. I would be very glad if you visit my blog sometime.

http://vidyasrecipes.blogspot.com/

Regards,
Vidya

bee said...

looks great. this recipe could easily be converted to a savoury pancake, dontcha think? like this:

http://constableslarder.blogspot.com/2009/02/savory-crepes.html

Varsha Vipins said...

That looks so yum..reminded me of chocolate butter pancake Raaga..:)

luckysanjana said...

Hi Raaga...............you need to come over and visit just to see what i did with your strawberry almond ...........sorry..............and hey i eat salted oats aswell cant stand it sweet..... i m not too crazy about sweet breakfast........ofcourse with the exception to waffles with maple syrup..................i must try you molaga podi powder variation as well.........kinda like hte sound of it................

Sree vidya said...

Thanx Raaga!

Miri said...

I'm with you - savoury breakfasts all the way. I used to have oats porridge with buttermilk and salt and loved it.

These pancakes are definitely power packed breakfast material with all the wheat bran!