Google
 

April 23, 2009

Milk Vegetable Soup



This soup is one of the staples at my parents' place. Since we had soup for dinner almost every night, Amma had to ensure that there was enough variety. What I love about this particular soup is that Amma always put in alphabet pasta. I made this soup minus the pasta as I don't even know where to look for alphabet or soup pasta here. But I've figured that this soup tastes divine even without the pasta. Since I have chopped vegetables in the freezer, this soup comes together in a jiffy.


1 cup Mixed Vegetables, finely chopped (I used carrot, beans and peas)

1 Onion, finely chopped

1 tsp Garlic, finely chopped

1 tsp Chilli flakes

1 tsp Basil

1 tsp Parsley

2 tbsp Alphabet Pasta (optional)

2 tbsp Cheese, grated

1 cup Milk

Salt and Pepper to taste

1 tsp Oil


Heat the oil in a pressure pan. Add the garlic and the onions. Fry for a minute or two. Add the chopped vegetables and pasta, if using, along with the chilli flakes, basil and parsley. Add the salt and fry for a minute. Add about 1 cup of water and pressure cook for 3 whistles (approx. ten minutes).


Add the milk and bring the mixture to a boil. Add the cheese, season with salt and pepper and enjoy your meal. This soup tastes great with some garlic bread or mushroom melts. I like to have it as it is.

27 comments:

FH said...

So colorful, yummy soup! :)

Deepthi Shankar said...

that looks very very colorful & nice

Shreya said...

this is very new to me! Never knew milk is used in soup..will try it for sure:-)

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

I have heard of using 1/2 tbsps of milk for soup but this so new to me... Lovely soup, be it with or without the alphabet pasta...

Gita Jaishankar said...

This is a new soup to me, nice color. I have bookmarked your recipe to try it out for dinner today :)

FewMinute Wonders said...

How simple this soup is. I have book marked to try.

Priya Sriram said...

Lovely soup Raaga... Love the veggie and milk combo.. Great soup dear! :)

A_and_N said...

Wow, so different!!!

Milk in a soup is absolutely new to me. Must try this. bookmarked.

delhibelle said...

Awesome way to have milk!
Bookmarked ASAP!

chef and her kitchen said...

yummy soup...will give a try next time...n i do hv alphabets pasta,so can give a try with it too..

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

This ones indeed easy to make!! Sounds healthy too....

Cham said...

Is that the cheese floating on top, hmm, I love it!

Anonymous said...

never had milk soup... this looks great...wonder how it tastes cold..

Priya Suresh said...

Wow creamy soup looks so delicious! healthy soup!

Shama Nagarajan said...

healthy colourful soup dear..yummy

Parita said...

Hi Raaga, lovely soup, looks very creamy and delicious...

Laavanya said...

I love milk based vegetable soups more than the tomato based ones...
This looks awesome.. bookmarking to try.

Subhie Arun said...

v colorful n yummy...thx 4 sharing

Unknown said...

Colorful looking soup! beautiful picture! Am bookmarking it for our next soup dinner!

Pavithra Kodical said...

Colourful soup with all veggies and healthy too.

Archana said...

This alphabet pasta reminds me of my childhood...been ages since i've even seen it...my mom too made a soup with alphabet pasta...must try and get some for my son -he's just started learning alphabets now :)

Anu said...

Great to meet you yesterday...and your blog IS amazing.

pRiyA said...

i came here hoping to see choc chip banana cake but i got milk veggie soup :-P

But its soup tonight for dinner for me to make up for my cake indulgence!

Unknown said...

Brilliant!! Can't wait to try my hands on this one.... :))

TBC said...

I like adding milk to soups...do that sometimes.:)
Lately, I've been making a lot of soups.
The yellow color is from the cheese?

Le @HC said...

looks whole some.. will have to try this.. am really in soup mood these days, dear..

gratefulmomo said...

I added some cabbage and vegetable juice. Adds an extra flavor and turned out delish.