Google
 

April 13, 2009

Methi Chana




This wasn't really a dish that I had planned on making. I'd soaked some black chickpeas in the hope of making sundal for our snack one day. When I opened the fridge for something that morning, I found a bag of cleaned methi leaves. It seemed like my experimenter's hat came and plonked itself on my head just then. I had this crazy idea that I eventually tried out that morning. The fact that I am blogging about it here simply means that we enjoyed our lunch that afternoon.


1 cup Black Chickpeas, soaked overnight and cooked

1 cup Fenugreek Leaves, chopped

1 Onion, chopped finely

1 tsp Green Chilli paste

1 tsp Ginger Paste

1/2 tsp Chilli Powder

1 tsp Cumin-Coriander Powder

1 tsp Oil

1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds

1/4 tsp Asafoetida

Salt to taste


Heat the oil in a kadhai. Add the cumin seeds and the asafoetida. When the cumin crackles, add the onion and fry for a minute. Add the green chilli and ginger pastes and fry for another minute. Add the cumin-coriander powder, chilli powder and salt. Add the fenugreek leaves and fry for 3-4 minutes. Add the cooked chickpeas and mix well. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes.


This was great as a dry side dish for rotis. I'm certain it would be great for those post lunch hunger pangs as well. A sundal like snack with greens. It doesn't get better than this, does it?

10 comments:

FH said...

Love this dish, I made it with Kabuli white chana. Love to try with brown chana, my fave beans. Enjoy! :)

Trupti said...

methi chana looks delicious Raaga

Arundathi said...

Methi tastes great in everything doesn't it?

TBC said...

There's so much one can do with chickpeas, right? :)

I'm glad the peppery chickpeas worked for you. Thanks for letting me know, A.:)

Deepthi Shankar said...

wow that must be yum never tried it though, will do it sometime

A_and_N said...

Oh super! I make this with spinach, but Methi sounds brilliant.

Unknown said...

Methi n channa sound like a great combo!

chef and her kitchen said...

Love chana, need to try methi with chana..

Miri said...

I don't like the brown chickpeas - I find them very hard to digest and usually give them a miss.

This combination looks like it could have possibilities....

Chitra said...

looks delicious and healthy:)