Google
 

April 9, 2009

Pooshnikkai Mochai Kootu




This was really my very first attempt at making kootu. I had some chopped ash gourd in my freezer. I also had some soaked and cooked hyacinth beans (rangoon mochai/avro) in the freezer. Even though I try not to use up my frozen goods on a weekend, sometimes I am my laziest best on a weekend. A quick call to Amma and I had the recipe for this kootu. It turned out to be a slight disaster as the consistency wasn't really close to that of a kootu. A real kootu should look more like this. But we still enjoyed it with some rice and yelai paruppu.


1 cup Ash Gourd, cubed

1 cup Hyacinth Beans, soaked and cooked

2 tbsp Chana Dal + 1 tsp Chana Dal

1/2 tsp Asafoetida

1 tsp Udad Dal

1/2 tsp Coriander Seeds

1 tsp Cumin

1/2 tsp Pepper

2 tbsp Coconut, scraped

1 tsp Oil

Salt to taste


For the tempering:

1 tsp Oil

1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds

7-8 Curry Leaves


Pressure cook the ash gourd with 2 tablespoons of chana dal. Add the hyacinth beans. Add the asafoetida to this.


In a frying ladle, heat a teaspoon of oil. Add the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, pepper, along with the udad and chana dals. Fry for a minute. Grind this along with the coconut to a fine paste.


Add this paste to the ash gourd-bean mixture along with some salt and mix well.


In a frying ladle, heat another teaspoon of oil and add the mustard to it. When the mustard splutters, add the curry leaves. Add this tempering to the kootu.




You have great tasting comfort food on the table. Enjoy this with rice and paruppu and when you're done with lunch, settle down in front of the TV and doze maybe?

12 comments:

FH said...

I wish I could grab that second photo thali right now, both veg and beans are my faves.
It's lunch time, I don't have any leftover today. Tushar wanted a book to read, so I went to the library, got it and just came home with a growling tummy. Didn't feel like grabbing a Burger! :D

Oh well..there is always Peanut butter and jelly!!!!

Deepthi Shankar said...

I love kootu but havent made it with hyacinth beans

Anonymous said...

it does look good...

Cham said...

We make mochai kuzhambu, this one sounds very differeent and delicous!

Pavani said...

Kootu looks delicious Raaga. I hear you about being super lazy on the weekends. I'm so charged to cook over weeknights and on weekends I don't even want to cook anything. Have a great weekend.

FewMinute Wonders said...

Hi Raaga,

I love mochai. We dont get it here. Its been so long time since I had them. I would love to have it now.

Suparna said...

Hi Raaga,
Love these beans...we make bendhi(kinda saambar) from this I love it. Thanks for another recipe with those beans...shall try the kootu.
Perfect thali for a hungry afternoon.
TC

Sunshinemom said...

I loved mochai so much last time when my Mum made it, I ended up with indigestion after eating too much:):).

This is a tasty dish and this combi is new to me.

Manju said...

i soo love the mochai kadalai. never combined it with pumpkin though. looks like a delicious kootu recipe!

AnuSriram said...

Looks delicious! I would love to have this for lunch, today!!

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

I've never seen this vegetable combination before, Raaga. Sounds most interesting.

Varsha Vipins said...

Loved this koottu..We hav a Sadya (Vishu) coming up,n I have to prepare dishes like this..But the combo sounds wonderful raaga..:)