Google
 

April 2, 2009

Panakam


As a continuation to yesterday's post, I present another drink that is traditionally made on Rama Navami at my place. Panakam. During all my growing up years, I must say I preferred this drink over Neer Mor. Today, I think I've moved from sweet to savoury. I wonder if it is me or my waistline.


1/4 cup Jaggery

2 cups Water

1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder

1 tsp Dry Ginger Powder


Dissolve the jaggery in a little water. Strain this mixture. Add the remaining water, ginger powder and cardamom powder.
Serve chilled.


As a variation, you could add the freshly squeezed juice from 1 lime. A friend of mine brought me some panakam around 4-5 years ago. That was when I was introduced to the "lime juice in panakam" concept. Last year, I made two batches of panakam, one with lime juice and one without. I loved both.

10 comments:

Finla said...

I am sure the ginger powder gave the drink a wonderful taste.

FH said...

I started to drool looking at the drink, so yum. Send it to RD-Refreshing drink event! :)

Gita Jaishankar said...

It has been long time since I had panakam, the drink in your photo looks very refreshing, I should try this soon :)

Laavanya said...

I love panagam too but haven't made it in ages.

Deepthi Shankar said...

Iam going to make this tomoro, I love this

Unknown said...

Mor and panakam. Perfect for chennai summers.

Alka said...

I too will prefer the non sweet version ,and dry ginger in drinks fascinates me...i love the flavor it gives to a drink

Uj said...

Panak si still my fav drink. We add lemon juice to it.. Looks so refreshing

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

LOve this too. We make on the dasami day of Navarathri and this is what is the offering at the pooja that day.

FewMinute Wonders said...

I love panagum and neer mor and always look forward to Rama Navami.Thanks for posting coz I never had a recipe to follow.