Google
 

April 17, 2009

Italian Style Paneer


There's this little shop in Gurgaon that sells all sorts of milk products. It was on my first trip there that I discovered masala paneer. I thought it was a great idea and bought some. I just cut the paneer into slices and toasted them. Then Arundathi wrote about dressing up paneer in this post. Inspired by all of this, I decided to make herbed paneer, Italian style.


1 litre Milk

1 tbsp Lime Juice

1 tsp Garlic, chopped

1 tsp Chilli Flakes

1 tsp Mixed Herbs (Basil, Parsley and Oregano)

1/2 tsp Salt


Bring the milk to a boil. As it starts boiling, add the garlic, chilli flakes, herbs and salt. Add the lime juice and allow the mixture to curdle.


Drain the solids into a cheesecloth and keep it under a heavy object so the liquid drains. Alternatively, you could use a paneer maker that is available in the market these days.


Cut the resultant block into cubes and add it to pasta salads or pasta dishes. I am sure it would be great in sandwiches and as a pizza topping.

17 comments:

FH said...

We get Habanero cheese too, so spicy and yummy in sandwiches or on Burgers. Looks delicious and colorful Raaga, good one. Have a great weekend, hugs! :)

chef and her kitchen said...

garlic n chilli in paneer..Looks yummy!!!
Plz visit my blog dear...something is waiting for you..!!

Vikis Kitchen said...

Nice idea to include spices with paneer. Good to go with pastha , as u said. Yummy.

Deepthi Shankar said...

A good idea to spice up the otherwise bland paneer

Unknown said...

That is a creative idea..Love the idea of spicing up the paneer..

Pooh said...

Add a couple of tomato slices and bread and you have yourself a Caprese salad sandwich!

A_and_N said...

I've tried the Indian version :) With cumin, green chillies and coriander.

This is a great idea!

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Thanks for dropping by Raaga, shall keep stopping by for more... Paneer looks great that tint of spices will be the best with tortilla and chips wow I guess I can make this for wine for Kris

Cham said...

Love the idea of turning the bland cheese! Very interesting recipe!

suvi said...

great recipe raaga! have never made paneer at home before..though this seems to be a must try.

Amritorupa Kanjilal said...

Raaga, i can't comment on the recipe, but the picture is sinfully delicious :)
is raaga your real name? if yes, then its a happy coincidence that you are also a singer, no?
thank you for liking the limericks. everyone seems to have found one the most identified with :)
if you liked the blog overall, please do become a follower... so that i can share the posts i cook up with you :) its nice to have chefs among my readers. hell, its nice to have chefs anywhere :)

and its lunch now and i'm eating my meagre diabetic lunch with your paneer on my screen. plan to do this everyday :)

Purva Desai said...

This is really a nice creative way of using cottage cheese

Red Chillies said...

The title had me very curious and here I am now drooling over the idea and recipe.

delhibelle said...

A very neat idea!

Arundathi said...

Nice job, Raaga! :) I'm sure it'll taste great in sandwiches. Glad you liked the idea!

Priya Sriram said...

Hi Raaga, thanks for stopping by my blog.. :)
You have an awesome blog too... With wonderful recipes and interesting pictures! Will come often! :)

Swapna said...

I love feta cheese and have been wondering if it was possible to make it at home.. it has the paneer consistency .... have to do some research.. this looks great..!!