Google
 

April 5, 2009

Spicy Crackers


There's a limit to the number of fried snacks you can eat or serve at a party. Pop corn is a good idea as is Bhel Puri. I found that these crackers are great with drinks. They're crisp (sort of like thin thattais) and they're baked, not fried. I found the recipe for this in The Cookie Book and modified it. (The recipe called for curry powder which I don't have. Read this for curry powder related amusement.)

1/2 cup Flour

1/4 tsp Salt

1 tsp Sambar Powder

1/4 tsp Chilli Powder

2 tbsp Coriander, chopped

2 tbsp Water


Preheat the oven to 350F.


Mix all the ingredients to make a firm dough. Knead well and then allow to sit for 5-10 minutes. Divide the dough into 15-20 small balls. Roll out each ball thinly, using a little flour if necessary. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes, turning them once when they are halfway through.


These crackers taste great with some salsa on the side. I'm quite sure you could play around with the spices to get different flavours each time. This time, since my crackers have chilli powder and coriander leaves, I'm sending this to FIC: Red and Green. I'm also sending these to JFI: Cilantro.

16 comments:

Deepthi Shankar said...

They look soo much like Nippattu Raaga

Gita Jaishankar said...

The look very much like our thattai, the baked version sounds very interesting Raaga, looks delicious too!

Unknown said...

Love that they are baked!

Cham said...

Baking sounds good & new recipe :)

Purnima said...

It sure looks great for health being baked! The pic too reflects a very tempting snack!Good one, Raaga! Tks for sharing!

jayasree said...

It looks very much like our deep fried thattais. Great idea.

WinnyNinny PooPoo said...

I'm going to mix this in with a meal of Mexican Cheese Quesadillas this weekend. Tasty and healthy too!!!

bee said...

perfect. even herbs would be nice in them like coriander or rosemary.

ARUNA said...

Yummy crackers Raaga.....nice starter!

Swapna said...

Hi ..I made your Oatmeal Coffee cake ... it was great... I have posted my pix... THANKSSSSSSSSSS

Unknown said...

spicy yummy snack dear.. looks delicious...

Suparna said...

Hi Raaga,
My first time to ur blog, Thanks for ur visit and comment at my blog :) hope to c u more often.
Hey liked the easy papads/crackers recipe and using microwave or oven is a fantastic option to avoid the oil. Shall try it out sometime this summer :) thanks
TC

Red Chillies said...

hey, seriously no oil? They look like pappads. Bookmarking this.

Rajesh &Shankari said...

perfect snack!

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Unusual. I am always on the look out for savoury snacks that don't add to my frame! :)

Pooh said...

I bet these tasted out of this world! To save time, I roll out a couple of large thin rotis and cut out little circle or squares.