Google
 

May 7, 2009

Cabbage with Panch Phoron






This is a very simple dish that my cousin’s wife used to make (and probably still does). I am not a big fan of cabbage. I am rather neutral to this vegetable. I usually prefer to make it the
steamed way as a side with rice and sambar. For rotis, I end up making Cabbage Jhunka this way, substituting cabbage for the spring onions. But my cousin’s wife made this dish fairly often (I visited them almost every weekend for 12 months, so I guess I have to mention this to be fair to her). And I found I liked to eat it with rotis. Years later, I asked her how she made it and she told me. I couldn’t believe how simple it was. The panch phoron makes this dish come alive.

1 cup Cabbage, chopped
2 tsp Oil
2 tsp Panch Phoron (a mixture of mustard, cumin, fenugreek, fennel and nigella seeds)
2 Green Chillies, slit
Salt to taste

Heat the oil in a pan. Add the slit chillies and the panch phoron and fry for a minute. Add the chopped cabbage and salt. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes.

That is it. It is as simple as that. Since I almost always have chopped veggies in my freezer, this dish is a life saver when time is of essence.

12 comments:

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Very delectable and should be very flavour ful with panch phoron

FH said...

I have half a cabbage to clean up the fridge, looks like I found a good recipe!:D

Happy mother's day to your mom, enjoy. See you in June.

Parita said...

Sweet and simple recipe..

lubnakarim06 said...

My kinda food...Simple and yum...

TBC said...

Very seldom do I use panch phoran. This is a nice variation from the regular tadka that I do.:)

On another note, I find your font a little too tiny to read. Must be growing old! :(

Priya Suresh said...

Simple and delicious dish!

Shama Nagarajan said...

nice lovely recipe dear

Kalai said...

I never used Punch Phoron with cabbage.quick and simple one.

Ashwini said...

I make it the traditional konkani style. Will add paach phoron begali masala and see how it tastes. Good twist to the dish. Thanks Raaga.

Sig said...

I have some paanch phoron at home which I completely forgot about, will try adding it to veggie stirfry next time. I too am very neutral to cabbage, don't live it or hate it :)

chef and her kitchen said...

simple and yummy..

ekta sapra said...

hey!!i have a more tactical and practical question - which all veggies can one store in freezer chopped? and what are the usual "best before" time durations?