July 14, 2008

Cabbage Karumadhu

I have met many cabbage haters so far. They seem to hate each and every member of its family. I’ve heard stuff like, “Ooooh, cabbage stinks”. I don’t know if I am oblivious to the “smell”, but I am definitely not a cabbage hater. I like in this form, I like it in a jhunka, I like it when it is paired with green peas. The only dish I really hate with cabbage is
khichdi. I made it a couple of times with cabbage and found that I couldn’t stand to eat it. This simple dish is what I crave with sambar and rice. It is relatively bland and compliments the "spicy" sambar very well.

1/4 kg Cabbage, chopped finely
1 tsp Oil
1/4 tsp Urad Dal
1/4 tsp Chana Dal
1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
2 Red Chillies
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
1 tbsp Coconut, scraped
7-8 Curry Leaves
Salt to taste

Heat oil in a kadhai. Add the urad and chana dals, mustard seeds and asafoetida. When the mustard splutters, add the curry leaves and the red chillies. Fry for a minute. Add the cabbage and the salt. Sprinkle a little water. Cover and cook 7-8 minutes.When done, add the coconut and mix well. Serve as a side dish with rice and


KayKat said...

I *love* cabbage. And I like the smell too! I know, I'm weird :)

Rajitha said...

i love cabbage..and yep with is a yummilicious combo :D

Deepa said...

What do you use to chop it? Processor, or knife? I have a cabbage tofu recipe I got from a Philippino friend, and make it often. Maybe I'll make it today. --Deepa

Cynthia said...

I'm a cabbage lover but never had it this way before. I'll be sure to give this a try.

Katie said...

I am not a cabbage-hater either, but I bet that recipe would still appeal to me if I was. Great blog!

bhags said...

even if it stinks in the tiffin box, still i love cabbage.....but many people i lived with or live with hate it.....the dish is simple and sweet

Divya said...

i love cabbage too..donno whats with the "smell" that ppl associate with it!!this recipe sounds quite similar to "thoran"..i am sure it will taste yum with sambhar and rice!!

lakshmi said...

thank god. and i thought i was the only one oblivious to the cabbage stink. you won't believe me but each time i parboil, i really try to smell , only to be disappointed. i used to think something must be wrong with my nose because everyone thinks cabbage stinks!!!

Shreya said...

hi Raaga, I am not a cabbage hater, but in my family cabbage is not too popular. I do buy it, and make it in this form whenever I buy. I have to ensure I have coconut to go with it, so when I buy cabbage, I buy coconutes aslo. Nice, simple recipe, and we eat it with chapathis too:-)

Suma Rajesh said...

i luv too the cabbage in any form either in salad not in gravy nor in the kootu u made ....i make too make them in same way...good entry

Rachel said...

I dont think cabbage stinks as well...not to me too..infact it is a vegetable that I like a lot...and this with heavenly!!

Vanamala said...

oh simple cabbage curry ... nice one