Google
 

July 5, 2008

Vengaya Vathal Kuzhambu


Menthi Kuzhambu featured at least once a week on Amma’s menu. I think it still does. But the vegetables that went into it were pretty standard: brinjal, lady’s finger or yam. Many of my Iyer friends would speak very highly of the vathal kuzhambu made with chinna vengayam (shallots/sambar onions). I had never gotten a chance to taste this dish and so ventured out to make it on my own. I have, since, sung praises for this version so much that Amma has started making this now. I make this whenever I can lay my hands on shallots here. My other favourite way to consume these would be this.


Ingredients:

1 cup Shallots

1 tbsp Vathal (Sundaikkai, Cluster Beans or Manathakkali - optional)

1-2 Red Chillies

1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds

1 tsp Mustard Seeds

1/2 tsp Asafoetida

1 tbsp Toor Dal

2 tbsp Tamarind Paste

1 tsp Oil

7-8 Curry Leaves

1 tbsp Sambar Powder

Salt to taste



Heat oil in a vessel and add the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, toor dal, vathal and asafoetida. When the mustard splutters, add the curry leaves and the chillies. Add the shallots and fry for a minute. Add the sambar powder and fry for another minute. Add the tamarind paste, salt and a cup of water. Bring to a boil and simmer until the onions are cooked.

Much as this is great with rice and yelai paruppu or paruppu podi, the highlight of my meal when I make this is the grand finale. A generous helping of
tayir saadam with this vatha kuzhambu on the side is the perfect way to end any meal.

8 comments:

Chef Jeena said...

This looks really tasty Raaga. :-)

Deepa said...

Aah. Vatra kuzhambu is serious stuff, and very highly coveted in my family (mom's side) for atleast 4 generations. --Deepa

Rajitha said...

yum yum yum...mouth is watering raaga..

Purva Desai said...

This looks really yum......:)

Miri said...

My favourite kind of food! - Yummy!

Anonymous said...

I love Vatra kuzhambu so much. Whenever we go veg. place I always order this. Your Vatra kuzhambu looks so good. I am going to try it for sure. Thanks.

Ramya

Anonymous said...

I love Vatra kuzhambu so much. Whenever we go veg. place I always order this. Your Vatra kuzhambu looks so good. I am going to try it for sure. Thanks.

Ramya

Deepa said...

I made htis today. I loved the fact that you have amounts written up so precisely. I usually just throw in stuff based on estimation. This is better. And by the way, to reduce oil, I reduce the oil and use cornstarch mixed with water for thickening the vatra kuzhambu. --Deepa