Google
 

May 19, 2009

Chocolate Almond Cake



Impromptu dinner invitations. I’m almost always game. I like to have about an hour’s notice though. That is enough to make cake batter, put it in the oven, get ready, get the cake out of the oven, pack it and leave for the venue. I get the feeling that folks who have us over regularly will soon be tired of eating cakes that I take along. Until that happens, I probably will not experiment with other goodies.


Our dear friends were moving to another apartment. They were going from across the street to several streets and main roads away, in the same city. So this was an impromptu “last” get together at that address. I quickly baked this cake to take along. Everyone loved it. We brought some back home and quickly distributed it to friends and colleagues. This is a cake meant for almond lovers. If you don’t like the slight bitter taste that almonds add to your dessert, I would suggest you omit the ground almonds and replace the almond essence with vanilla.



1 1/2 cups Flour

1/3 cup Cocoa Powder

3 tsp Baking Powder

1 tsp Baking Soda

1 cup Sugar

a Pinch Salt

1/2 cup Oil

2 eggs

1 cup Milk

1/4 cup Almonds, ground

1 tsp Almond Essence (or Vanilla, if you find Almond essence bitter)

Butter and flour for dusting

Almond slivers for decoration



Sift all the dry ingredients for the cake together into a food processor jar with the dough blade. Pour in all the liquid ingredients and run the processor for 2 minutes.

Prepare two 8 inch round cake tins by first smearing a little butter all over the tin and then dusting it with flour.

Divide the batter equally between the pans and sprinkle the almond slivers over the batter. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 F. The cakes are done when a knife or skewer inserted into them comes out clean. Transfer the cakes to a cake rack and cool completely.


Cut into wedges and enjoy while the cake is still warm. As always, I'm sure this would be divine with some vanilla ice cream on the side. But that's just a serving suggestion!

15 comments:

Parita said...

Wow lovely combo of almonds and chocolate..the cake looks delicious

Deepthi Shankar said...

Its been quite a while since I've had a dinner invitation .. I always take store bought sweet & stuff, I really wouldn't have the patience to bake .. Love almonds, Maybe I should have yu over for dinner sometime :)

Trupti said...

cake looks delicious Raaga. Chocolate & almonds nice combination

Anonymous said...

first time here.Stopped on looking at the almond cake. I love cakes and this looks great

Unknown said...

That is sweet of u baking for ur frds. Loks delicious with those almonds on top!

Unknown said...

That is sweet of u baking for ur frds. Loks delicious with those almonds on top!

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Wow looks very nice, and nicely opened top... I made an almond cake but slighlty different though... the almond topped cake looks so yummy!!!

chef and her kitchen said...

That is so sweet of you raaga to carry home made stuff along with u...
Loved the almond topped choco cake..

Chitra said...

love this cake...loooks yuumm..

Anita said...

Were we on the same track or what! :-)

Nikita said...

Looks like you enjoy baking cakes more than eating them. I am a little bit like that. Although I do not bake as good or as often as you!

SOWMYA said...

That looks yum...Will sure try sometime Raaga...I loved ur recipes..A wide variety..Will keep coming back..

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

delicious!! been a while since I baked a cake.....

Miri said...

That looks like one absolutely delicious cake!!

Srivalli said...

Girl you baked so many yet you didnt send me anything???...this looks so good, am sure it was finished off fast!