Google
 

May 5, 2009

Moong Dal


I can't remember where I tasted this dish first. I think it may have been the day the three boys who lived in the apartment downstairs invited me over for dinner. This was during my Hyderabad days. I somehow remember asking another friend how to make this dal and she told me. (Though, now she says she never had that conversation with me.)


1 cup Moong, soaked overnight and drained

1 Onion, sliced

1 tsp Green Chilli Paste

1 tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste

1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder

1/2 tsp Chilli Powder

1 tsp Ghee

1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds

Salt to taste


Heat the ghee in a pressure pan. Add the cumin seeds. When they crackle, add the onions, green chilli paste, and the ginger garlic paste. Fry for a minute. Add the turmeric and chilli powder and fry for another minute or two.


Add the drained moong along with the salt. Add 2-3 cups of water and bring to a boil. Pressure cook for 4-5 whistles. Open when the pressure is released and mash the moong with the back of a spoon and cook for a minute or two. Garnish with some chopped coriander if you like.


I've had this with rice and with rotis. I've even eaten it all by itself. So whichever way you have it, it is bound to be a winner.

4 comments:

FH said...

Delicious! :)

Parita said...

Yummy dish..I too prepare similarly but with addition of grated coconut :)

sra said...

It's usually The Spouse and I who disown conversations with each other many years down the line! :-D

Raaga, is this whole moong? There's a Guj dish that uses curds with whole moong to make a sweet and sour dish, it's very nice.

crypticrow said...

i did make this today and it turned out yum yum. thank you so so much. :) :)